Heart Disease Forum

Chest Pain when Dancing

Posted By Debby on December 15, 1998 at 11:35:30:

I am a 39 year old Female. I am on birth control pills. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Juvenile Heart Murmur. I have skipped beats, especially around menstruation, and when I am sick. but lately, it has been every day. Two weeks ago I went dancing with some friends, and while dancing, I experienced a very alarming feeling in my chest..like a radiating sensation starting in the chest and spreading throughout body.  When I slowed the intensity of dancing, the sensation went away (within minutes)..The rest of the evening I am fine.  This has happened before during intense dancing. I had a stress test, an echo and doppler done years ago.  All came out normal except the EKG showed a "valley"  on the last line of EKG which the doctor indicated was my heart murmur.  I explained that when I get skipped beats, it prompts me to cough.  I get dizziness ocassionally, however, I usually try to deal with it.  I have 3 questions:
1.  Should I be on birth control pills? Do I stand a higher chance for blood clots/strokes  if I have heart murmur and take the pill?
2.  Is there anything I can take for symptoms?
3.  Do you suggest I see cardiologist again if I am getting pain - or is this generally a sign of heart murmur?
Thank you.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.