Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.1k Members

Chest pain following ablation

Hi all.  I had an ablation 4 weeks ago and since that time I have been experiencing chest tightness, pressure, and sharp pains in the heart.  I am seeing my doctor on a weekly basis to determine the cause and undergo treatment.  Following a work up of tests (echo, nuclear stress, ekg, etc.) the doctor has determined that everything in the heart is normal and that this "discomfort may be something that I just have to ride out." I never experienced these problems before the procedure and had an ablation due to SVT.  My question is - has anyone had similar experiences following an ablation procedure?  If so what were your symptoms, how long did the discomfort last, and what type of treatment did you undergo?  I am a helthy 29 year old that had been exercising regularly before the procedure.  Since then I have not been able to do so because of the pain.  I just want to feel "normal" again.  Thank you for your response!
262 Responses
I had an ablation on feb 16 and I did not experience anything like you have.  My heart rate went up about 20 points and it lasted about 2 weeks.  My blood pressure went up sky high for about 2 weeks.  And I felt an irritation in the chest.  I had 23 burns and I would say my heart healed within 3 weeks.

If all your tests post ablation came out ok I would think your heart needs more time to heal from the burns.

Was your ablation successful?
Thank you for the response mariop.  So far the ablation has been successful which I am extremely thankful for! Was your ablation successful? Did your doctor give you an explanation as to why your heart rate and blood pressure became elevated?  I bet that was frightening to go through.  I'm sure you are right about my heart just needing more time to heal.  I just assumed that 4 weeks post-op would have been plenty of time.
21064 tn?1309312333
My experience was similar to mario's.  I had 2 ablations and each time my heart rate increased for a short time after the procedure.  I did not experience any chest pain or discomfort other than my leg was a bit sore.  Interestingly, after the second procedure, my BP rose enough to warrant a small dose of medication.  Up until then, my BP was on the low side...95-110/55-65.  

Hope you are feeling better.  I'm happy to hear your test results are good!!

Take care.
I had the exact same experience with ablation and had it done 2 years ago, I had just turned 30.  The dr. acted like I was some kind of freak but I had pain that I was taking tylenol for and my left arm was tingly (not good, right?) . On top of that I was svt free for only a short time.  I had the ablation in November and in March I was starting to have tachycardia worse.  More frequent and longer attacks and all he wanted to do was go in.  I was like"no way, I'm worse than before"  I think I'll take my chances and live with the svt.  It is getting difficult because I have it so freaking much.  I take 25 mg atenolol.  I hope your arrhythmia is fixed, not like mine.  I am scared to go anywhere else and so scared to even consider another ablation.  I am sorry you had the pain post op.
Hi there-
I just got an ablation 5 days ago, for wpw syndrome.  I just returned from an ER visit.  I went in with a feeling of severe heartburn  as well as tightening/heavy feeling.  Also, I have a very severe headache- all post-procedure.  I too am a very healthy 30 year old woman, a runner in fact, with very low BP, typically 90/50-60.  Mine has shot up to 125/70.  Maybe that is what is causing the headache....?  Was told that these were not symptoms of ablation recovery- hard to believe when I did not have them going in, but have them now.....How are you doing now?  Thanks
Kate
My post-ablation nurse told me chest discomfort was due to heart being swollen enough to

"rub" against the pericardium (sp?). Mine went away within a day. Perhaps your situation is

different. From the comments on this thread I would strongly advise that THIS PROCEDURE

SHOULD NOT BE DONE BY YOUR LOCAL ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST!

I obsessed on research and finally went to the Cleveland Clinic. I am now 2+ weeks out from the

procedure and, lord knows, I could still run in to rhythm problems (as they have warned me as they

do every patient), but so far things are smooth.

Think about it. This is a very tricky deal and you want someone who does it all day every day

every week.
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.