Heart Disease Community

Coronary Calcium Score

I have fought high cholesterol since my early 20s (currently taking Vytorin).  Routine blood tests have total cholesterol ranging from 100-140.  LDL/HDL ratios are ok.  I just had a coronary calcium scan and results can back staggeringly high (412) and I am a 49 yr old male.  Puts me in the upper 3% of age group.  I have scheduled an apptmt with my fathers cardiologist.  I am quite concerned.  I am not overweight, 165lbs, 5' 9" tall.  Non smoker (never), occasional glass of wine.

Anyone know if this can be reversed in any way and/or places to research additional information?

Try magnesium supplements (I can recommend magnesium chelated with amino acids). I'm not sure how much damage my magnesium deficiency caused but I have a calcified mitral heart valve at the very least.  

Hypocholesterolemia (abnormally low cholesterol) is defined as below 160 mg/dL or 4.1 mmol/l. The all cause death rate is higher in individuals with cholesterol levels lower than 180 mg/dL (4.6mmol/L).

***

Excerpt from Dr Sircus's article - Calcification and Its Treatment with Magnesium and Sodium Thiosulfate...

"Dr. Dean makes this clear when she says in her book The Magnesium Miracle, “To understand how you can create a calcium/magnesium imbalance in your own body, try this experiment in your kitchen. Crush a calcium pill and see how much dissolves in 1 oz of water. Then crush a magnesium pill and slowly stir it into the calcium water. When you introduce the magnesium, the remaining calcium dissolves; it becomes more water-soluble.

The same thing happens in your bloodstream, heart, brain, kidneys, and all the tissues in your body. If you don’t have enough magnesium to help keep calcium dissolved, you may end up with calcium-excess muscle spasms, fibromyalgia, hardening of the arteries, and even dental cavities. Another scenario plays out in the kidneys. If there is too much calcium in the kidneys and not enough magnesium to dissolve it, you can get kidney stones.”

***

It’s insulin—not cholesterol you should watch like a hawk:
http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_page/32718/complementary-medicine/Its-insulinnot-cholesterol-you-should-watch-like-a-hawk-?hp_id=694
hi, my sister had hers done and hers is over 800, but its the hard plaque, not the soft , did they tell you what yours was and was it the heart scan that the score is about.   they put her on liptor and she's been like that for 3 years and she's good and lives a very busy life
I'm sure you had your magnesium level tested in a blood test.  What did the tests indicate?  Also, you mention your mitral valve is calcified.  I'm betting you had an echo to confirm that.  Something to ease your mind, you can have heavy calcification of the valve, but excellent valve function.  
Well the first thing I have to ask is if you actually want to dissolve that calcium? We naturally produce the calcium to cover the sticky mess which is stuck in the artery wall, because if this is allowed to escape, you can end up with a serious heart attack or stroke. It's natures way of putting a drain cover over something to keep us protected so to remove that drain cover can end up with devastating results. The calcium isn't the problem, it's the mess under it. The more mess you accumulate in the artery wall, the more calcium you will produce to keep it there. If too much is produced then yes, blood flow is restricted and you start to feel symptoms. However, it's the mess you need to get under control, not the calcium formation. No matter how many chemicals you swallow to absorb that calcium, the body will fight it because it's there to protect you. If we go back 20-30 years, then the calcium would have been blamed but a lot has been learned since that time. We know exactly what happens right down to the individual molecule bonds. It all starts with damage to the lining of your arteries, causing tiny fractures. The lining of the artery is only 1 cell thick so losing some of those cells is an opening for artery disease. Some people repair them pretty damn quick, others take longer. Your immune system goes to the area to help clean things up and this starts an inflammation response and this allows even more blood cells to get stuck in there. It isn't just cholesterol, all blood cells get caught in there making a nasty mush. So you need to aim at stopping the fractures/inflammation. A good statin inhibits inflammation by the way, but the fractures still occur. The best approach is a healthy diet of plenty of fruit and veg. Fruit for deoxidants and veg for the minerals to make fast repairs and strengthen your arteries. High blood pressure also bombards the artery linings, keeping them under high stress levels. Emotional stress is also a major cause because the way the body reacts to get into fight/flight mode. If your blood pressure seems fine when you go to the Doctors, I still recommend a 24 hour blood pressure monitor. Your blood pressure may be normal for just one hour a day which is no good. I can tell you now that having a cholesterol level of 100 or 400 will still result in artery disease once the initial process starts. Cells are cells and they will get jammed in the artery wall. Our own immune system destroys any hope of resolving the problem because they consume those trapped cells, then die in the artery wall becoming foam cells. If we could somehow stop the immune response, it is believed that HDL will likely be signaled to empty the trapped lipids of fat.
wow thanks ed i learn a lot from you