Heart Disease Forum

Coumadin vs asperin

I have beend diagnosed with Lone Atrial flutter by electrocardiogram. I have no symptons. I have been taking a full dose enteric aspirin , but on completion of some dental surgery, my doctor prefers that I go on Coumadin. Problem is that I very much rely on Motrin to deaden the leg pain from some low back arthritis. I may take two, or possibly four motrin once or twice a week to more easily engage in strenuous exercise such as cross country skiing or hiking. Nothing else works remotely as well for me as ibuprofen. If you assume that I won't give up my motrin, am I better off with Coumadin or my enteric aspirin (I am also taking Nexium daily, and drink 2 or 3 glasses of wine a day.)  ps: I am 78 and male
Based on your age alone your risk score (CHADS2) is greater than or equal to one which puts you at a moderate risk for stroke from atrial flutter/atrial fibrillation (they always go in pair).  The fact that you take motrin which inhibits the action of ASA would further make me recommend coumadin for you.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.