Heart Disease Forum

Depression

Posted by David on July 18, 1999 at 16:11:11PWhilst on vacation in the USA I became sick and had to go to the local hospital where it was found that my heart was pausing for any thing up to 7-9 seconds. It was decided that, following a stress test, I should be fitted with a pace-maker. After about 9 days I returned home to the UK where,as far as I know, the pacer is working as it should. BUT I now suffer from bouts of deep depression. I do not want to bother the doctor but could the two things be linked???? Thank you for your helpPPHR WIDTH=75% SIZE=4 COLOR=#000090Posted by Ivy on July 18, 1999 at 20:45:26

Hi David, I was in atrial fibrilation, had by appt my heart shocked back in rythm. The medication to keep it slower and in rythm then caused it to beat so slow at night when I slept they inserted a pacemaker. I am usually an upbeat person but I am sleeping twelve hours a night, take naps, have no real interest in being out & about, I now have reason for depression because I lost my Grandson ,five weeks after the hospital drama plus pacer, crying has put me back but I have been depressed before the death. My husband wonders if it the coumadin to thin my blood since my heart is out of rythmn now forever... that makes me depressed... I will be glad to see what the Dr tells you, my Dr said be patient, takes time to get back,after a pacer, we will see. Ivy

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on July 19, 1999 at 10:14:44
Dear Ivy,
The pacemaker itself won't cause depression, nor will coumadin.  Beta-blocker medication or amiodarone which are both sometimes used for afib can cause depression.  Certainly your life events are a potential cause.  If this has been lasting for longer than a couple months I would discuss with your doctor starting anti-depressant medication.  Best wishes.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.
Posted by David on July 23, 1999 at 15:53:12
Thanks to all the people who took time out to reply to my call for help, it's greato know that one does not have struggle alone and unaided. Just waiting for an appointment to see the Cardiologist (could be up to a 6 week wait) but thanks to you guys I feel a little better about things...Thanks again

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on July 26, 1999 at 09:44:11
Thanks for the follow-up David.  We're here if you need us.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.