Heart Disease Forum

Diastolic Murmur

I recently took a pre-employment medical and the clinic doctor found the following:

"Early diastolic murmur, Grade I, heard at left 4th intercostal space, radiating to apex.  Asymptomatic of unknown significance.  Normal ECG.  Also very faint late diastolic sound, suggestive of split S1.  No previous family history.  Blood pressure 120/70."

I am 29 and this is the first time I have had anyone tell me they heard a murmur.  I have an echo scheduled although the results won't be available for sometime.  Just curious what the possibilities are based on what the clinic doctor found.  I follow a fairly intense cardio workout routine and have had no symptoms associated with exercise so far.  
Dear websm008

It is very likely that you have mild aortic insufficiency if you truly have a diastolic murmur. This refers to a small amount of leakage of the aortic valve. Since you are not having any symptoms at this point in time, nothing really needs to be done other than monitoring your echocardiogram at 1-2 year intervals.
Clearly, the echocardiogram is the most important investigation to establish a conclusive diagnosis.
Hope that helps
CCFHeartMD19
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.