Heart Disease Community

Dieting to lose weight

I am grossly overweight, If I cut my food intake to half, how long before I notice a drop in weight, all other factors being constant
It's not always about "how much" you eat, it's more about what you eat. I went on a diet a few years ago and successfully dropped 110lbs in the first year. I have been maintaining my new weight every since. It is common that most diets eventually fail therefore one may put back on the weight and then some provided that they are not committed to the life style change. I would be happy to share more with you if you are interested.. Good luck....
I agree, but the other key factor is exercise, to burn excess calories. Even starting with a 30 min walk every day can make a big difference with diet.
I agree with everything bill139 said.  I will add that, yes, if someone cuts his food intake in half for a sustained period of time, a drop in body weight should follow.  I know someone who lost 50 unneeded pounds by doing just that.  Of course, in the long run, eating healthy is very important.  If you're eating a lot of junk food, simply eating half as much junk food probably won't work for you indefinitely.  You could end up being chronically hungry if that's the only change you make, because junk food is literally designed to make you eat more junk food.

I lost 30 lb. in 2011-12 and have kept it off so far.  I used the Volumetrics program, which you can do on your own by using the book, The Volumetrics Eating Plan.  I had to greatly reduce the amount of processed food that I was eating.  I started buying more raw groceries and cooking most of my food.  Now, I am very happy with the way I eat, because I feel so much better.  My sense of taste has changed.  Now I can appreciate natural food, without the added salt, suger, and fat that is found in the processed foods that I used to eat.  A plain baked potato tastes good, which is amazing to me.

There definitely was a period of mental, emotional, and sensory adjustment.  My new way of eating takes more time for food preparation, it's an aesthetically different experience, and the sense of satisfaction at the end of a meal is qualitatively different.  I still feel very satisfied with my food, but I feel satisfied in a different way than I did before.  That difference in the quality of satisfaction is hard to describe.  It's as if the food that I was eating before was mood-altering in the same way that chemical intoxicants are mood-altering, and now I'm "clean and sober."  I'm exaggerating, but that's as close as I can come to describing how differently I feel about my food now.

It takes a lot of time to figure out how to lose weight, how to keep the weight off, and how eat in a way that's both healthy and satisfying for you.  Many, many things about one's life have to change.  You start out thinking that just one thing -- eating -- is going to change, but you find out that changing the one behavior generates many other changes.  If you want to start a reducing diet by simply cutting your intake in half, that's fine.  But don't be surprised if you end up making other changes.  Everybody has to find his or her own way to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.  It's a learning process.  Good luck on your journey, and don't give up.
If your present diet is weight neutral - meaning no loss, no gain - you will see a drop of ~10# in one week or even a little more.
Oh, ed34 posted while I was composing, but I agree with him too.  I only just started exercising, though.  Everybody's journey is different.