Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.1k Members

Dilated Cardiomyopathy - Mild LV enlargement with 45%EF

I have recently been released from the hospital with a mild enlargement of the LV and a 45% EF
I suspect it was from my abuse of alcohol..  Im only 29 with great cholesterol but I have an unsteady heartbeat,PVCs.
How freaked out should I be?  The doc pretty much just handed me a Cardiomyopathy leaflet and kicked me out the door with a couple of prescriptions.  I have heard Alcoholic Cardiomyopathy is reversible..  

Any comments would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
7 Responses
forgot to add the Left Ventricle is at 5.6 cm  
367994 tn?1304957193
My records show the normal range for  the left ventricle is 3.5-5.7 cm !?  Normal EF is 55 to 75%.  With a 5.6 cm, your EF should be in the upper percent of the range (Frank/Starling mechanism).  The less than normal EF could indicate heart muscle damage (loss of contractual strength)

Whether or not your condition is reversible depends on which of the three stages of alcoholic cardiomyopathy: preclinical (asymptomatic), acute, and chronic. The preclinical and acute stages are usually reversible when alcohol abuse is discontinued, except in cases of sudden congestive heart failure or acute heart muscle degeneration. Chronic alcoholic heart muscle disease often can be arrested or improved with abstinence
Thanks for the info!  Is there a way to tell what stage I am in?  I don't really have swollen feet/ankles or any signs of heart failure..  I can still tackle 4 flights of stairs.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
367994 tn?1304957193
Another perspective,  the condition is reversible if there is not CHF (EF less than 29% is medically considered heart failure). Congested heart failure happens when the heart  pumps less than the amount received from the lungs and blood backs up and fluids leak into the lung tissues, etc.  Your 45% (Percent of blood pumped with each stroke) indicates your heart is pumping enough to avoid heart failure range.  

The condition is reversible if there is no heart muscle degeneration.  It may take some time and another test later to determine if there is chronic muscle degeneration.  If your EF doesn't improve or there is further weakening of pumping contractility, that may indicate heart muscle degeneration.

It appears you are in the preclinical stage, and if  the lower than normal EF is acute without further evidence.
Thanks very much Kenkeith!  You have brought me a great deal of hope.
I all so have modest Tricuspid regurgitation.  Is that characteristic  of this disorder?
367994 tn?1304957193
Mild, trivial (modest?) are terms that are considered medically insignificant and almost always will not progress nor be symptomatic.
Again, thanks Kenkeith!
You have been most helpfull.
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.