Heart Disease Community

Do you know what this condition is called?

Hi!  I had an ultrasound on my heart a few years back (as well as several other heart tests) due to feeling a dull achy pain under the right side of my left breast.   Although all the tests came back fine, I still suffer with dull and sharp pains as well as an irregular heart beat.  The ultrasound teck did however tell me that something did show abnormal.  She told me to quickly sniff through my nose and that is when she told me that I have a flap that collapses, which is not supposed to.  When I asked her about it, she acted like she didn't know a thing about it and that she only does what has been told to do.   I thought she should know a little bit more about her job!  Anyway, when the PA called me to read me my results she said that all was well, and I proceeded to tell her what the us tech has relayed to me.  The PA then looked through the files and quickly rattled off what that condition was called but said that it was mild and that I would probably life to the age of 80 without any problems!  Are you serious?!!  Anyway, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called and I have tried numerous times to find what it may be on the internet, but am not having luck.  So....does anyone know what a flap collapsing in the chest may be?  Thank you!
Hello and hope you are doing well.

She could have meant Mitral valve prolapse (MVP), which is also called click-murmur syndrome, floppy mitral valve syndrome, and Barlow syndrome after the doctor who first described MVP. The mitral valve is the valve between the left upper and left lower chambers (left atrium and left ventricle) of the heart. Mitral valve prolapse (MVP) is an abnormal bulging of the valves. People with this condition can be asymptomatic (without symptoms).

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.