Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.1k Members

Echo Question

Hi all -- My question is does onset of A Fib come before or after diastolic dysfunction? I had one bout with A Fib 2 months ago and when they did the echo they found Grade 2 diastolic dysfunction.  Everything else on the echo was normal (except mild mitral valve regurgitation, mild tricuspid regurgitation, mild pulmonary hypertension, the LV was within normal limits [4.0cm], no LVOT obstruction, no systolic problems at all - hyperdynamic (what does that mean) EF of >60%).  Note:  I was in A Fib when this echo was taken. Could that have affected the whole echo? Could the diastolic dysfunction be a false positive? This whole experience has been very scary.  I am on the same med as before - 25mg metoprolol/day and a 325 mg aspirin.  They did a cath and no blockages. The cath said by EF was 60-65%.  I feel like I am waiting for the next shoe to drop...another A Fib incident or something with the diastolic dysfunction.  I would  just like to understand the whole thing a little better.  I talked with the cardiologist...was not much help..
1 Responses
9979282 tn?1407048005
AF is most of the time caused by left atrial volume overload due to mitral valve disease - stenosis or regurgitation.in your case mild mitral valve regurgitation, mild tricuspid regurgitation, mild pulmonary hypertension is probably initiative cause.get the proper followup regularly to monitor mild mitral valve regurgitation, mild tricuspid regurgitation, mild pulmonary hypertension.
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.