Heart Disease Forum

Episodes Almost Clockwork

This is really frustrating and would love your opinion. My afib episodes have always been sporadic and of short duration. A few months ago my episodes have come almost every third night (from the last episode)upon either lying down for sleep or sometime in the middle of the night upon which I am awaken by it. This (I'm sure is a coincidence, maybe?)pattern started on the same day I started accupuncture treatments (I thought I would try it) but I stopped after three treatments and I would have thought whatever effects that had would have worn out by now.

I'm on 10 mg Altace and on those nights have tried (with my cardio's knowledge)I've tried an additional 12.5 or 25 or 50 mg of metoprolol with no success.

He thinks it may be due to some gastro thing because I have had bad heartburn but not in the last month or so and pattern still exists.

I am going to meet with him next week but I have a feeling he's stumped also. Can you suggest some ideas, maybe taking more metoprolol during the third night, taking the Altace late at night instead of during the day, or something else??? Since I haven't had heartburn for a while, could that still be the cause?

With thanks from a very frustrated Kevin.
Hi Kevin,

Atrial fibrillation is a bugger.  It has a mind of its own.  I have no guess why it is happening so rhythmically.

I don't think you should change your dose of metop every 3rd night.  Find a dose that you tolerate and stick with it.

If this persists, you may want to consider an ablation.  They are 80% effective on the first go around to cure AF.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.