Heart Disease Forum

Exercise and heart health

I am an obese (6' 350#) 43 yr. old male. I have had PVC's and other arrythmias for years, medicine has never helped (too many side-effects and/or just ineffective). About 9 months ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (190/105). I have been taking Tiazac (most recently 240 mg), and now have readings between 135/75 to 145/85 with an occasional high reading, possibly due to anxiety. I want to start exercising in a serious way, but am concerned. I recently read a book that was written in the mid 1980's , by a practicing Cardiologist, that stated moderate to heavy exercise cannot reverse or favorably treat coronary conditions. Only mild to moderate walking was found to be beneficial. I would like to maximize the chances of turning my problem around. What are your suggestions regarding exercise?
Dear Robert,

Once cleared by a physician, regular exercise 3-5 times per week of at least 20 minutes duration is appropriate.  This should be of moderate intensity and your target heart rate should be approximately 85% (220 - your heart rate).
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.