Heart Disease Community

Exercise

I had angioplasty in March 2004. Ever since I've been on a beta blocker ( Metoprolol- 25 mg ), Altace ( 5 mg ), baby aspirin, Lipitir 20mg. Recently I had an exercise stress test, reached just over 100% of my target rate ( 220 less age 66 ). My Mets were 11. Is that a good score?
I am required to exercise an hour a day; I take an hour's brisk walk daily. But it appears that my walking speed of 4 miles an hour( 6 kilometres ) is not pushing my heart rate up to the 147 a minute required. It goes up to about 120 a minute.
My question is: Should I push for 7 or 8 kilometres an hour to increase the heart rate?
COMMUNITY LEADER
When you say you can't get to 147 BPM as required, what do you mean? You should exercise at 70% - 85% of your max heat rate, anything above that does not provide any benefit to the heart and can in fact be detrimental. It may be hard to achieve a higher BPM while you are on a beta blocker as they tend to slow your heart rate. I can predict my heart rate on a treadmill, for me 3.7 MPH at 5% incline will get me to 130 BPM. If I want to achieve 150 I need to do 4 MPH at 5% incline, works every time.

Your numbers during your test were good, you achieved your target and m.e.t.s. look fine as well.

Hope this helps,

Jon
I didn't realize that anything over 70-80% was at the point of diminishing return.  Either way, while walking I too can't get my heart rate up much above 80-ish bpm for more than a couple minutes walking up a steep hill (100-110 is rate) out of the 30 minutes of walking time.  What i did was to get a bike!  Now i could easily double my max rate if i choose and for as long as I want! :-)

In fact, did about 100 ft of riding the first day. then 1/4 mile the next, then one mile, I'm up to just under two miles a day with spurts of 5 every so often.  It's just over two weeks since I started and my legs are just starting to feel less sore each day but I feel great :-)   I want to tinker with generating my own electricity to save a couple dollars, one way is to hook up a generator to a bicycle to charge batteries to run the lights in the house so I'm using the heart as an excuse to ride and the riding as an excuse to build stamina to charge those batteries.  I just hope it'll save me enough money to make the whole deal worth while.
I have to say that I'm a bit confused as to why you are still on a beta blocker. Six years is a long time for such a medication if your heart is in such good shape. Why not ask your Doctor if you can come off them? Not only do you notice your heart running free when you stop them, but you feel more energetic. If your Doctor recommends you stay on them, I would definitely be asking exactly why.
I was on beta blocker Metoprolol 50 mg twice a day, but the cardiologist asked me to stop taking it, because my BP and heart rate were fine, and he said long-term use can effect the libido. I told him that I could **** till the cows come home. He said you are a very lucky man. However 6 months later I told him that once in a while my heart rate was racing, so he put me back on 25mg twice a day. My resting heart rate now is between say 60-72 and, when I walk at 6 kilometres an hour ( my usual speed ) my heart rate goes up to around 115 BPM; since at the Rehab they've given me a target rate of 147 BPM, based on the results of my stress test, what I was saying was that maybe I should increase my speed to 8 kilometres an hour to get my heart rate up to the target of 147, or mix a bit of jog with brisk walking.
The exercise specialist too said that pushing your heart rate over the targets can impact the heart negatively. Wonder why? It does make it difficult to maintain a balance. Can't keep checking your pulse all the time, just to make sure you are within the target. Once in a while is okay.

Thanks for your inputs.

Any thoughts on alcohol intake? I usually consume a beer and 2 glasses of wine a day. Is that too much?
When you come off beta blockers your heart rate can increase for a while, this is very common and is usually why a doctor will ween you off the medication gradually. With regards to Jon's comment about running your heart at 100% is correct. There is no real reason to do this unless you wish to become a serious athlete because the heart and other systems in the body will start to make adaptations, such as enlargement of the left ventricle with thickening of the wall, along with others. You just want your heart to be healthy and 70-80% is still working the heart hard. Imagine a rev counter on an engine, you are talking of running it in the red, while Jon is saying keep it below the red line which is still well above tick over.
"Any thoughts on alcohol intake? I usually consume a beer and 2 glasses of wine a day. Is that too much?"

I would say that there is little evidence to support that amount of alcohol would cause any damage.