Heart Disease Forum

Fasting vs non-Fasting Cholesterol Tests

Posted by John on June 26, 1999 at 09:53:03
I was wondering about the comparability of Fasting vs non-Fasting Cholesterol Tests.  On Feb 26th I had a fasting lipid profile of TC 146, HDL 29, LDL 87, VLDL 30, TG 151 and on April 8th I had another lipid profile about 2 hours after lunch of TC 178, HDL 28, LDL 123, VLDL 27 and TG 136.  Are these comparable?  Can/what inference could be drawn for my increased TC & LDL but slightly decreased TG levels while HDL is essentially the same.  
Also, I'm trying to raise my HDL through exercise with 40-60 minutes of Aerobic exercise per day. would increasing my level of exercise help my HDL any more?
Thank you for your consideration.
Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on June 28, 1999 at 09:00:42
Dear John,
The standard that is used for treatment decisions is the fasting lipid profile. The non-fasting levels are elevated due to the circulation of lipids from the recent meal and are not used for treatment decisions.  HDL is related to exercise but I would try to stick to your current plan first and then increase exercise levels if your HDL is still low.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.