This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Fluid in Chest after multiple bypass surgeries

  I am the same "Jeannie" who posted the questions regarding 3 separate surgeries in eight days (bypass).  First of all to the doctor who responded to my long rambling history and questions, Thank you so much for your time and wonderful reply.  Now, the question I have today is -- after being told by the surgical group of doctors that my 57 year old husband had fluid in the chest, I sought the "second" opinion and took my husband to a physician who had no connection to the "surgery" physicians.  Well, after more xrays and blood tests (I took the lst xrays for him to see), he calls and tells my husband that he DOES NOT have fluid in the chest area.  Indeed, he says that is being seen on the left side is inflammation/irritation of the diaphram because of so many surgeries in the span of 8 or so days.  He said he had not yet been able to get the three angiograms transferred to the downtown hospital, so he was waiting to make a recommendation of treatment until he has seen the three films.  Now, while we wait, my qquestion is - is this logical?  This inflammation?  What would the treatment be in this case.  Good Lord, we were on the verge of the needle procedure when a close friend, who happens to be an RN specializing in cardiac care suggested we see this "outside" doctor.  Can you believe, I have now scheduled my husband to see still another physican who is a pulminary specialist.  Should I follow through with this visit (I assume more xrays, etc) which is for Oct 21st.  Oh, yes.  The doctor who sees the inflammation is a cardiovascular surgeon.  Please advise me.  I am worried sick about my husband of 35 years and don't want to do the wrong thing.  My original posting/question was the latter part of September.  Thank you for your opinion/advice/guidance.
Dear Jeannie
I would recommend seeing the pulmonologist (lung specialist). This type of doctor specializes in treating conditions such as fluid in the lungs, and can also drain the fluid if that is necessary. Inflammation is common after surgery and usually goes away with time. If a great deal of fluid has accumulated around the lungs, draining this fluid can speed the recovery of the patient.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Request an Appointment
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now