Heart Disease Forum

Fraxiparin vs. Heparin

Posted By  CCF CARDIO MD - MTR on March 16, 1998 at 11:19:11:

In Reply to: Fraxiparin vs. Heparin posted by Mariette on March 08, 1998 at 06:39:13:

: I would really like to know what - in your opinion - would be the better treatment for an acute DVT/PE.
  Fraxiparin s.c. or Heparin i.v.? Please consider the fact that I already suffered DVT 8 times, and that when I used Fraxiparin I got red, itching stains. I would really appreciate your reply. Thanks, Mariette

Dear Mariette, thank you for your question.  For an acute DVT, there is currently no
consensus about is better: traditional intravenous heparin or low-molecular weight
heparins (which includes fraxiparin).  We do know that for the prevention of DVT's
in high-risk patients (such as those patients who have undergone a hip replacement)
low-molecular weight heparins are better preventative treatment.  It sounds like you
have an allergic reaction to fraxiparin anyways so that shouldn't be used in your case.
With your history of recurrent DVT's, you should be on long-term anticoagulation and
you should be seen by a specialist in clotting disorders on a regular basis. An acute DVT
in this setting would be approached from a different perspective than a first-time DVT
in someone without a prior history of clotting disorders.  Thus, a specialist's
opinion would be helpful.
Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses
and therapies can only be provided by your physician.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.