Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Heart Cath & Memory Loss

I am interested in learning whether a 38 year old individual who underwent cardiac catherization in 1992, during which he developed some transient bradycardia, successfully treated with approximately 1 mg Atropine, had atypical chest pain, and also developed some transient hypotension, which responded to fluid boluses, could develop limited memory for things both prior and subsequent to the cardiac cath.  This gentlemen also has hypertension, which is often out of control, smokes 3 packs of cigarettes a day and suffers from an ongoing addiction to Vicodin.  Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Eva:
Sometimes relaxing medicines such as intravenous valium are given before/during a catheterization.  These medicines can cause a person's recollection of events during and slightly before and after the catheterization to be shaky.  I am talking about minutes or hours, not days, of memory loss.
I hope this is useful. Feel free to write back with further questions.
If you wish to be evaluated here at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at desk F15.  Information provided in the Heart Forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be provided by your doctor.

0 Responses
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.