Heart Disease Forum

Heart Skips with pain

I a 45 y.o. white female, just had my gallbladder out, I was told that would alleviate my heart skips.  It did not. I have had them since 1982 and the only difference now is sometimes they hurt.  I feel them under my right breast.  When I eat or drink anything it doesn't matter if it's water or not when it hits I feel the water hit in my right side of my body when it goes down and my heart will start to skip.  Anytime I try to use my right arm to lift or move things I feel a pulling in my right side and my heart will skip.  Any pressure from pants on the waistline in that area will cause the same thing, a heart skip.
  I have had ekg's I do have PVC's which I am use to but now there are more and each time I eat or drink shouldn't cause them but it does.
  I just had an upper GI and I have Reflux real bad and was put on Papaya enzymes.  I also put myself on Calcium and iron.  I usually run a 4 to a 5 on my iron exams. I  also take 1/4 gr. Armour Thyroid per/day for hypothyroid problems.  I have no energy to exercise and when I do it makes the heart skips increase.
  I do not drink coffee, soda, tea, nothing but water lately.
  Can you help me?

Dear Wanda, thank you for your question.  I suspect that your PVC's are caused by gastroesophageal reflux which should be treated with aggressive acid-reducing medications (Prilosec or Prevacid) and not papaya enzymes.   The irritation of your esophagus could be contributing to the PVC's that you're having.  I don't think that water is a contributing factor, however.  Caffeine, tobacco, and alcohol all cause PVC's so you are smart to avoid these agents.  Like most people with PVC's, I suspect that you have a normal heart and that your PVC's are mostly a nuisance to you.   Most likely, your PVC's do not portend an adverse prognosis.   Thus, it may help for you to speak to your physician to develop strategies for coping with your PVC's in the long-term.  Good luck!
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.