Heart Disease Community

Heart Test Results Borderline... Next Steps?

I'm not sure what to do next, or what to think:

I am a 51 year-old male with a family history of cardiomyopathy (Father and older sister).  I had an EKG which led me down the path of having an echo-cardiogram and radio-isotope stress test.  The echo showed 45% ejection fraction, and the stress test said there was "evidence of a previous heart attack".  I have not had a heart attack to my knowledge.

So yesterday I had a heart catheter in which I was told there was only 25(ish) percent blockage with a 50% ejection fraction.  This was done by a different specialist than my regular cardiologist, and was given minimal information.

I am supposed to have a follow-up with my regular cardiologist in three weeks, and was told not to worry about anything.

Just FYI - I am not overweight, and am athletic (bicycle rider).  With an EF of 45% or 50% with my history, I am not sure what to do to keep on top of things.  I do get tired and feel the need to nap every day, which came on over the last year or so.

I am trying to decipher if I am borderline caridomyopathy, or what to do in order to get myself back to a place where I am not exhausted and feel "normal" again.  I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Any advice would be helpful.  Thank you for your time.
25% blockage should not cause you any problems. Normally people start notice blockages when they are 70-80% or even more.

Your EF is 50% according to the catheterization measurements which is probably more reliable than the calculated 45% from the echo.
This is just within the normal range (50-70%).

As far as I can see, there is no reason for you to stop or decrease your cycling activities. In fact staying active and in good shape is the best way to keep your heart in good condition.

I do not see very clearly the connection between your heart's condition and your tiredness. There can be a lot of other causes for the tiredness. Napping could indicate a lack of sleep (from i.e.apnea). Your GP should check for non heart related causes.