Heart Disease Forum

Heart attack intensityf

Re: Re: Heart attack intensityf

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heart Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on April 20, 1998 at 15:13:06:

In Reply to: Re: Heart attack intensityf posted by Gina Lee on April 18, 1998 at 02:20:26:

: I am a seventh grade student at Taipei american school.  Our science teacher,
  Ms.Keenan gave us a project to do.  She told us to pick a topic and learn
  about it.  I chose "Heart Attack." I hope that the doctors here would spend
  some time answering the questions i need to ask about this topic.  I want to
  know what is the average people each day who get heart attacks, men and
  women seperate?
  I need to know that because i need to make a graph of the difference.I also
  need to know the average amount of each day men for skinny and fat, and
  smokers and nonsmokers.
  Thanx!

Sincerely,
  Gina Lee
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Gina:
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United states, as well as the industrialized world.  Public health experts predict that heart disease will increase worldwide, as people are living longer.  Approximately 500,000 people die in the USA every year because of heart attacks.  Another 250,000 die every year form other heart diseases, such as heart failure.  Another 150,000 die from strokes.  In total, about 1 million people die in the USA from cardiovascular diseases.  Heart disease is the leading killer of both men and women in this country.  These numbers are just estimates; the exact numbers are difficult to state, because the exact cause of death in an individual cannot always be determined with certainty.
Of course, not every heart attack is fatal.  The total number of heart attacks in the USA in a year is about 1.5 million.  That works out to about 4,000 heart attacks a day.  In the USA, 27.8% of men are smokers and 23.3% of women are smokers.  Smoking greatly increases the risk of a heart attack.  
I hope this has been useful.  A site on the Internet that contains lots of these statistics is the American Heart Association site at www.americanheart.org.  Good luck with your school project.  

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.