Heart Disease Forum

Heart races at night

I am a 43 year old active female. Last year went through non Hodgkin

Have you tried an event monitor?  If it is happening that frequently, it should be relatively easily to capture.  Most night time SVTs that happen at bedtime are anxiety related, but it is worth proving on event monitor.  

I hope this helps.
Does magnesium really help? I suffer from sinus tachycardia and PVCs with some PACs. My cardiologist said my heart is OK and it just periodically overreacts to any form of stress or stimulus like catecolamines. He said that although my blood tests are OK I should try to eat food with lots of magnesium and potassium, but didn't suggest I take supplements. Anyone here has had benefit from magnesium supplements? I now take Indeal daily. I know supplements cannot replace meds but maybe they might decrease bad tachy episodes?

Fran
Greetings:

I have the same problems as you (and others, too). I also take Inderal which seems to help.

My personal opinion on supplements is very mixed. Magnesium won't be a problem as long as you don't have pre-existing kidney disease. In some folks with sensitive digestion, it might cause diarrhea. I have tried 250 mg per day without problem, although I'm not convinced of the benefits.

Potassium in pill form can be brutal on your tummy. If you don't have a proven deficiency, I would not take it.

BTW...many folks discuss CoQ-10. I tried it twice, 9 years apart, and it put me in the E-R both times with a-fib like irregular heartbeat. Not good at all, and again, I would suggest staying away.

It has been my personal experience that PVC's are not terribly responsive to treatments like supplements or even beta blockers. Perhaps the doctors have said it best...if you have a structurally normal heart, learn to roll with the punches and carry on. They feel awful and can be very distressing, no doubt.

At least for me, my sinus tach responds nicely to Inderal. As a side note, a six month course of Toprol XL didn't help my tach and actually made my PVC's worse.

Standard disclaimer that I am not a doctor and every word here is just my personal opinion and experience. Your mileage may vary.

Take care and be well.
I'm not a doctor, but magnesium supplements will only help if your blood magnesium is low. If it is normal, they won't do anything for you. I'd follow your doctor's advice.
Some say even if your blood serum magnesium is normal it doesn't mean your cellular magensium levels are normal. I am not sure if this is a bunch of lies or not.

I have said it to other people a low dose beta blocker can be a great option and usually has very few side effects and can work wonders in some people.

I am not a doctor and you should discuss this with him.
Does anyone ever feel like they are getting a wierd beat that feels nothing like PVC'S? Those are the ones that really freak me out, but i guess im still alive.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.