Heart Disease Community

High Systolic low Distolic 18 year old

My son is 18years of age and his blood pressure appears to have a high systolic and low diastolic reading. Systoli 117 and diastolic 51. (always below 60). Weight 75Kg and height 179 cm  active in sports plays soccer twice weekly, works out with dumb bells regularly over the week. Is currently studying at college.

My I know if this reading is indicative of any adverse heart condition.

Thank You.

What you are describing is a high "pulse pressure," which can be consistent with bicuspid aortic valve (BAV).  I'm not saying that your son has a bicuspid aortic valve, but a high pulse pressure tends to go along with it.  The index of suspicion for BAV is raised if there is anyone in the family -- even the extended family, including grandparents, greatgrandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins, etc. -- who has any of the following conditions:  any type of congenital heart disorder, any type of aortic disease, or any type of aneurysm.  Any incidence of sudden cardiac death in the family or extended family is also a red flag for aortic valve disease.  BAV is diagnosed by echocardiogram, but the defect can be hard to see on an echo, especially in young people and especially if the valve is functioning well, so there are a lot of false negative tests.  I'm not any kind of medical expert, and there may be other conditions that a high pulse pressure can signify, and perhaps it can signify nothing.  I only know this about BAV because I have the condition.  Best wishes for your son.