Heart Disease Forum

Inderal weaning

I have been taking Inderal for  2-3 years.  I have recently become pregnant.  (1-2months)  I take 10mg total a day.  A half a pill in the morning, and a half a pill at night.  This seemed to help all my symptoms with MVPS.  I spoke to my cardiologist and he said he thinks I should not take it anymore.  He told me I should wean myself off of it.  I took 4 half pill a day for four days, then one-half a pill every other day for four days.  I didn't take one yesterday at all and today I took my last half a pill.  Should I get some symptoms?  Will my heart rate speed up?  And how long will it take to get out of my system?  Will I have a heart attack?  I am quite worried.  The cardiologist is the one who told me how to wean.  Also, the  nurse at the gynecologist office said I could continue to take it.  I would think the cardiologist would know better.    Could you please give me your opinion?

Thanks!
Most likely your heart rate will increase a bit, due to the withdrawal of medication and the pregnancy. You may or may not have a return of MVPS symptoms.  I don't know why you would have a heart attack but if you are worried you should call your doctor.  He can also answer any questions about continuing the medication during pregnancy.
Hi Audrey!
I was wondering if you have noticed any rotten side affects with the Inderal?  I'm thinking about start taking it or Atenolol for my tachycardia that I get and extra beats, but I'm kind of leary about starting a new med. especially one that is related to the heart!
Thanks,
Carrie
I have been taking Inderal LA-80 for about 20 years for atrial fibrillation. Because of increased events, my Cardiologist suggested I switch to Betapace.  I have been on it for about 3 weeks.  240 mg/day the first week nearly knocked me out.  I am now taking 120 mg/day.  I still have the same side-effects, although not quite as severe.  (Dizziness, ringing in the ears, shortness of breath, kind of prickling feeling all over my body, extreme fatigue)  I can relieve it somewhat with coffee or taking with food.  Am I allergic?  Should I cut the dosage in half again?  Could the problem be from Inderal withdrawal?
These are not typical side-effects for beta-blockers or for beta-blocker withdrawal. We do always suggest discussing specific medication concerns and reactions with your doctor.
I take inderal LA 60mg once a day for palpitations and tachycardia.  Since being on it I have noticed that I am more fatigued and dream more at night.  My main concern though is weight gain and I feel like I am more forgetful then I use to be.  I have been on it for 2 years and have gained approx. 10 lbs. I do not eat anymore now than I use to and actually I believe that I am eating less.  I have also noticed that I forget things and have a difficult time recalling things at times. I just don't feel like I retain things like I use to.  I know the inderal slows down your heart rate, can it also slow down your metabolism and cognitive function also?  I am 39 years old.  If anyone else has experienced these concerns or has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it.
A friend of mine who happens to be a musician recommended me to take some Inderal 10 mg about 1 hour before doing what I consider to be an important presentation (speech, demonstration, etc). According to him it would improve dramatically my performance. I tried last week and it really worked. I tried seven days later for another important speech and it worked again. The only side effect I noticed was some kind of distant feeling. I am trying to read everything I can on the Internet about Inderal. I have read many, many things: from people saying is a very safe drug to technical sheets saying I have to be careful in case I have a cardiac condition. So far, I am a healthy man. My question is: is it safe to take this drug just once in a while, whenever I consider it could help my performance and just wait for the next occasion? Is it that safe? Let's say I take 10 mg every two or three weeks: am I running a risk? Please, I apprecciate any comment on this.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.