Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Inderal

Hello,

I have frequent PVCs, a holter moniter registered 5000+ in one day (and that was a good day). On my last EKG, my Dr. said there was some question about a long QT interval, she said it was nothing to worry about, she didn't even mention it at the time (also, I have had yearly EKGs for about 3 years running, no mention of long QT interval).  She also found my TSH levels were high. She put me on 40mg of Inderal, which helps the PVCs.  My questions are:

Is the Inderal treating my thyroid, which might be causing the PVCs?  Or is it treating my heart?

I did a little research on Long QT intervals, I was wondering if being on a drug like Inderal, which slows the heart down, is bad for a "questionnable" long QT interval?

What are the common side effects of Inderal?  Is it usually well tolerated?

Thanks so much!
Christine
1 Responses
238668 tn?1232735930
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Inderal is a beta-blocker.  Beta-blockers are used to treat palpitations, high blood pressure, angina (chest pain), heart attacks, heart rhythm problems such as atrial fibrillation and more recently heart failure.  

Potential side effects include: >10 % mental depression, tiredness, weakness, dizziness
1-10% Bradycardia (slow heart rate), wheezing, irregular heart beat, reduced peripheral circulation, heartburn
<1% Rash, chest pain, constipation, decreased sexual activity, itching, nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, insomnia, heart failure, nightmares, confusion, headache, impotence, cold extremities.

Potential drug interactions include:
Increased effect of metoprolol - amiodarone, cimetidine, diltiazem, nifedipine, nicardipine, verapamil, flecainide, hydralazine, MAO inhibitors, quinidine, ciprofloxacin, propafenone, oral contraeptives, fluoxetine, sertraline.

Decreased effect of metoprolol - NSAIDS, salycylates, barbiturates, rifampin, clonidine
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.