This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Leaking valves and low blood pressure

  After a recent heart cath., I was put on Lisinopril that created severe side effects, coughing, and finally the closing off of my airway.  I did not have high BP but the heart is enlarging more; the aortic valve leaks, the mitral has minor regurgitation. I guess Lisinopril was to "make the heart pump more effectively".  I quit all medicines except aspirin and feel much better and dont cough as much.  However, my blood pressure has dropped considerably??  Hovers around 98/50ish. Pulse is between 67-100.. What do you suppose this is from? The valves failing?  Three hospitals say it is too early and dangerous to operate. All Veterans Hospitals.  I see an outside cardiologist in January for a layman's explaination of things.  Do you have suggested questions I might ask?  He will have test results from cath. available.
  Appt is Jan 6th you can email me.
Dear Warren,
Firstly, we do not e-mail anyone.
You had what sounds like a very serious allergic reaction or an idiosyncratic reaction called angioedema to the lisinopril. Since both of these reactions are life-threatening, you should be advised never to take any such drug again (the class of drugs that lisinopril is a part of is called ace-inhibitors, the class you are allergic to.)
If you do not have blockages in your coronary arteries to explain your cardiomyopathy, then the valves and heart muscle structure need to be thoroughly evaluated (usually to start with an echocardiogram); leaky valves over a period of time can cause cardiomyopathy.  Ask the cardiologist you see on the 6th what his/her opinion is as to the cause of your cardiomyopathy.
A just as good if not better drug for CHF/cardiomyopathy than lisinopril is a drug called carvedilol, ask the doctor on the 6th if you will need to be treated with this.
Any patient with a cardiomyopathy will benefit from at least one evaluation by a heart failure specialist (specialized cardiologist.)
I hope this informatin has been useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnosis and therapies.  Feel free to write back with further questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Discussion is closed
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Request an Appointment
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now