Heart Disease Forum

Leaky Valve

I learned this week that my breathlessness/tiredness/unable to breathe when lying down, palpitations, etc. are due to two leaky heart vales.  One of them the Mitral valve and not sure of the other as the doc asked me sarcastically why I wanted to know "Was I a doctor?"!  I have to have a treadmill test and then he is going to discuss medication.  I noticed that all the meds for heart disease usually lower blood pressure - I have a very low blood pressure and also developed asthma three years ago.  (I'm a 52 yr old female with ankylosing spondylosis)  Can I still go to exercise classes?  Sometimes I feel a little faint but need to exercise otherwise I become very stiff.  Thanks.
Typically aortic and mitral valves in patients with ankylosing spondylitis.  Mitral regurgitation and aortic stenosis with regurgitation are the common valve lesions.  The most important aspect of the disease follow up is your symptoms.  Put another way, if you are having a lot of symptroms that limit your physical activity, than exercise may not be the best thing for you.  Of couse if you can tolerate minor activity which allows your to stretch and keep your back from stiffening up, you should go ahead and continue to do so.  I am concerned that your blood pressure is low because that may be a sign that the valve disease is severe.  When the blood pressure is too low there arent't really too many meds that can be tried without developing hypotension.  You should definitely find out what valves are diseased and your physician should volunteer this information without any problems.  I don't know why your cardiologist acted that way.  Keep in mind, that if you don't feel comfortable with the current physician you could always go to see someone else.  Not all people where meant to get along well.  Maybe you need someone with a different style or different approach to patient care.  You should also have an echocardiogram if that hasn't been done yet.  Valvular disease in almost all cases requires some type of surgical intervention.  Medications are only used in the early stages to slow down the process.  Ultimately most patients need surgery.  There is also a specific window of opportunity when the surgery must be done in order to avoid complications.  This means that close follow up is essential.  
I have airtic valvue disease that was diagnosed and I am a 59 year old female.  My cardiologist informed me mmediately after the ech that day and said that it needs to monitored and I go every 3 months, because I have others issues also which seems to be controlled by meds.  I was original given medicarion for the valvue problem and ended up in the hospital on 3 occasions because it was dropping my bp so low that I was passing out and actually did it int he hospital.  Once I was taken off the meds I was ok.  They usually wait for my bp to return to normal on its own and don't treat me again unless the bp goes back up.  I was told that with valvue disease you have to make sure that your bp stays down otherwise it does more damage.  Hope you feel better the heartMD gave you good advice
Thank you for your comments Dr.  I am going to change my consultant - I saw a Registrar and wasn't happy with his attitude.  One question please - what meds are used in the early stages?  I've been told I cannot have beta-blockers as I have asthma.  My heart was acting chaotically again this morning from 4.00 a.m. and I wasn't able to sleep.  It eventually tails off once I have been up a couple of hours.  Thank you.
It would be difficult for me to tell you which medications to use because I am not entire sure which of your valves is most affected.  One also has to consider patient's blood pressure and ejection fraction of the heart before starting any medications.  Sometimes, depending on the valve lesion, we may add on blood thinners to prevent the risk of stroke.  Sometimes, the disease has progressed pass the stage where we can add any medications and patients may have to go to surgery.  Therefore, it is not a simple thing and you have to have an experienced physician take care of you.  Also, the chaotic rhythm may mean many things.  Hopefully, it's just anxiety related.  Sometimes patients develop abnormal rhythms that typically aren't dangerous but may need to be treated.  Again, an experienced heart doctor will be able to handle all this without a problem.  
After you were converted did they run tests on your heart?  I had similar problems as yours except I was having VT and was electro converted in ER then shipped to a bigger hospital for further testing.  Have you seen a cardio doc?  or an EP cardio doc?  
I just turned 73 this  June. I hadn't noticed  any problems till just  after the 4th of July. My wife and  I  were visiting  my sister. I could not lay in bed at all. I  had to get up and sit on the couch in the front room. This went on for  the four days we were  there. The same thiing when  we got  home but now sleeping in seperate  beds. It seems  as  though  I didn't notice  the breathlessness for a  short  time but I certainly noticed the coughing. I thought my old asthma kicking up. I was given an EKG, Chest Xray and  blood test (later ECHO). To make a long story short it was found I had a regurgitating valve (Left Mitral). I just had an angiogram on the 7th of  Sept. in which only one Artery was found to have some blockage. So now it seems a repair job is in  order or a replacement of the valve. I'm not to anxious to go under the knife or jigsaw. I have no idea if the coughing or breathlessness will  improve.  I was in the hospital about 2 weeks ago for 2 days after being examined by a nurse /prac. It was to get fluid out faster than trying it at home. Since then I have 4 more meds. 1 of them being Coumadin. I guess the problem is I am not to enthused over the prospects. I have rapid heart beat also. Fribilating. I was shown the heart model and the valve. I seem to be dumber than a cement wall about this.Plus had SHL in right ear in December of 06 and looseing it in my left at a good clip. All my sleeping habits are down the  tube.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.