Heart Disease Forum

Long term effects of Sotalol

My son was diagnosed with Ebstein's Malformation of the Tricuspid Valve and a heart murmur when he was 24 days old.  At 4 months old he was also diagnosed with PAT.  At first he was on Digoxin for about a year but it wasn't working so he was admitted into the hospital and the medicine was changed to Sotalol (the doctor just increased it to 6mL twice a day).  My question is what are the long term effects of this medicine as I can't find any information anywhere and I was wondering if you could help.  

Thanking you in advance,

A concerned London Ontario Mom
Dear Shaena,

Sorry to hear about your son's birth defect.
My experience with sotalol is in the adult population and not in the pediatric population. There really are no long term effects of sotalol in adults. The drug can increase the QT interval on the electrocardiogram (ECG) which will predispose one to malignant ventricular arrythmias. However, close monitoring will screen for this drug effect. Given that your son has been on this drug for some time, I am sure his doctors have been monitoring for this. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE
I have a web page on Sotalol I can send you if you will send me your email address.  ***@****  I too am a candidate for Sotalol and I look up all the information I can find before I take any meds.  Thanks   Gary M
Risen - why do you constantly ask all the women on this site to correspond with you?  this is a site for medical questions, not a site to pick-up on women.
Dartmouth, rest assured I am not trying to pick any female up through this site! I am a christian and also have a heart arrythmia problem. I am willing to help in any way I can as I graciously appreciate the words of wisdom from those on this site that have helped me. I am very sorry you look at this as a ploy to "pick a lady up". You are certainly welcome to ask those, who happen to be female, if I have had any other questions other than heart related questions. I hope you can look past the gender issue and continue to help others and even maybe me if you can as I would you. Sorry for your misunderstanding of me......
shame on you dartmouth
I've been on this drug for three years.  It is part betablocker and it slows the heart rate.  The only noticeable effect that I have noticed is that I am more sensitive to the cold.  Otherwise it sure solved my problem.
I was wondering if anyone taking Sotalol (BetaPace) has had any problems w/depression... I read on another message board of someone that did and this was first time I've ever heard of depression as a side effect of Sotalol.
JES in NJ
Not for me.  Now having afib is a sure way to have depression.  But as far as the side effects, just the increased sensation of cold is the only side effect I can document.
Hi.  I've been taking Sotalol for around 6 months now.  Up to now, it was fine, but from around 6 weeks ago I have started feeling very depressed and my doctor thinks I may have depression (although I still have to see a psychologist).  Does anyone else have any experience of this or any information that might halp me out.  Anywaything would be appreciated, Thanks.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.