Heart Disease Forum

Long term effects of running marathons in predominantly anareobic metabolism with occassional tachycardia

I have been running/training in marathons for the last 5 years   (one marathon a year).  In each of my training years I have never had incidences where my HR went above 200 BPM.  When I was stressed it would hit 183-189 at the peak.
However this year I started taking an over the counter melatonin sleep aide and I wonder if this could be a causitive effect on this years training (I observed on three weekends where my HR went at or above 200 BPM, the last one lasted around 2 minutes long).

Any inputs:  Thoughts?
In general, the recommended peak heart rate during exercise is 85% of 220 minus your age.  Of course this is a generalization and some people are able to safely exercise at a higher heart rate. The question regarding the safety of your elevated heart rate prompts another question of whether or not your heart is still in a normal rhythm when it is going that fast or if you have gone into a supraventricular tachycardia (SVT).  For a more definitive answer, I recommend a consultation with a cardiologist who could possibly order an exercise stress test to determine if you have episodes of SVT when you are at maximal exercise.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.