Heart Disease Forum

Lovenox and Toradol

I am on life long anticoagulant therapy for MVR and Atrial Fib.  Recently, I had a total knee replacement.  Lovenox was used to bridge before and after surgery.  I have used Lovenox many times in the last three years for various procedures etc.  I have never had a problem. But, this time, Lovenox was started the day after surgery and coumadin on the day of surgery.  Within two days I began to bleed into the knee...four units of blood replacement were required not to mention all the other complications.  Anyway, they also gave me torodol for the pain (I believe 48 hours worth  Could there have been an interaction between toradol and lovenox to cause the bleeding?  It has caused very high INRs for me in the past.  They are saying that I now have a sensitivity to lovenox.  What would be my alternatives to bridge if and when I need it?  Or, is it simply the toradol interaction?
Hi Dotty,

Sorry to hear about the complication.  Hopefully it didn't set  you back that much.

Toradol inhibits platelet activity and can make you more prone to bleeding.  In rarer circumstances, toradol can also adversely influence kidney function. Lovenox is cleared from the body via the kidneys.  If you had kidney problems, lovenox levels can go to high.  These are the only two interactions I know for these drugs.

The only other alternative is sub cutaneous herparin, but this is far less reliable than lovenox.

I don't think this one instance proves that you had an interaction or that you are overly sensitive to lovenox.  That being said, lovenox should always be used cautiously and like an other medications is not devoid of side effects and complications.

I hope this helps and that you are recovering quickly.  Good luck.
I am reading this with interest.  I have been putting off having knee surgery (torn meniscus) as I am on Plavix for stent placement and Heart doctor said No surgery till I have been on Plavix for a year to keep stents open.   OS doctor wants me off Plavix for 7 days before knee surgery. )-: He said he will give me one injection of Lovenox the day of surgery and for the next three days after surgery and start me back on Plavix the day after surgery. I am now wondering if this is a good idea.

I asked about Torodol as I love that drug as I have no side effects and it works well.  (was given this when I had a Brachial Plexus Injury for 5 days only) He told me that he rarely uses this med and if I cannot take other pain meds, I would have to resort to Advil which I said I would.  When I was in the ER room with A-fib and pain some months ago, they wanted to give me Morphine.  I said NO!  Give me a shot of Torodol.  They would not give me this. )-: I declined the Morphine and had nothing.  

Dotty what you went thru is so scary. I hope you are doing better now.  Maybe I should live with the painful knee.  There has to be a formula for people like us that have A-FIB and are on blood thinners as far as surgical procedures go.
Hi Dotty,  I'm sorry to hear about your problem with surgery and lovenox.  :-(  I hope your knee surgery itself went well and your able to get back to your normal acitivities.  

I was wondering Dotty,  if you know anything about 'coreg' not being available to patients.  I went to go and fill my 'coreg' prescription yesterday at my new pharmacy and they said - coreg - will not be sold any longer ..   Something to do with a 'patent'..  

Does anyone know about this?  I can't find anything.  The pharmacist said he would call my doctors office..  I take coreg for heart failure - I thought toprol was a substitute drug if a patient couldn't take coreg.  I don't know..    I'm waiting to hear from my CHF doctors office.  I called his office as well and I left a message as well - I only have 4 pills left of coreg.  I had a terrible time adjusting to this drug and after mos and mos I finally started to feel decent the last few weeks and now I hear I can't get it !!!!  This can't be true..  The pharmacist must be wrong.  

Konopka
That is very interesting about the Coreg.  I googled it and came up with nothing related to what you were told.  I think that drug has a while to go before the generic comes out.  The pharmacist has to be wrong!  One thought though.........are you on Medicare and signed up for a drug card?  Maybe that drug isn't on your plan's formulary??  It is expensive!  Hope you are able to get your script refilled.

I dont understand what going on with Coreg that's strange. Coreg is the brand name of the generic drug carvedilol, it is also marketed in the UK under Eucardic made by Roche as far as I remember. I would check this out with another pharmacy.
Hi,  No I'm not on Medicare.  I did a google check and found nothing also.  But, when I asked why it wasn't being sold - the pharmacist said something about "patent".  I have a very good insurance plan - but I did just go there for my first visit for prescriptions - maybe they didn't have me under the right prescription plan.  But they said it was a 'patent' problem.  I'm still trying to find somthing on this.  I wonder if the CCF docs have heard anything about this?  I guess from what I've been told that Toprol XL is the next best drug for heart failure.  Does anyone here take Toprol XL and has it been shown to decrease the size of your heart?

Konopka
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.