Heart Disease Community

Low HDL and LDL

Today I got my Cholesterol readings from my doctors office.  I was put on Simvastatin 20mg daily, back in September.  In October my readings were Total Cholesterol 106  LDL 53 Hdl 29 Triglycerides 121 VDL 24

Then yesterday after taking the Simvstatin for seven months the results were:
Total Cholesterol 110 LDL 65 HDL 24 Triglycerides 105 VDL 21

so my triglycerides went down and the VDL went down.  However my Total, LDL went up, and my HDL went down.

My doctor hasn't said a thing as to whether this is bad or good.  But I find it unsettling, since I have drastically changed my diet as well as exercise regularly.
I am being treated with Flecainide and Metpoprolol for afib.  Should I be concerned?

This discussion is related to Re: cholesterol Low,and HDL Low.
Why on earth would a doctor want to subject you to statin therapy with lipid numbers like yours?  I guess Big Pharma has been successful in convincing some docs that EVERYONE must be taking statins.  Show them the money.

Mary
I agree with Mary, your cholesterol levels were fine in the first place. Maybe this is a sign of things to come, when everyone is put onto statins from the age of 25 whether they need them or not, yet in many people it will have the reverse of the desired effect?
my HDL is too LOW
my LDL is too HIGH

What do you consider normal readings?
Did I mention I am a 62 year old man, being treated for Afib?
First, remember that cholesterol is not a total bad bay.  Your body produces it because it is a useful substance for you.  It is essential for brain and nerve function (and therefore, ultimately muscle).  You must know the value of HDL since you want to raise it.

Anything below 100 is usually "normal" for LDL.  Different doctors seem to have different standards for what they deem acceptable.  I'll leave that there.

I don't blame you for wanting to raise your HDL to at least the 40-60 range.  Statin drugs WILL NOT help to do this.  Exercise will if you are able to be active.  Duration is probably more effective than intensity.  Quitting smoking will help.  A drink or two of alcohol a day will help.  Eating monounsaturated fats will help (peanut butter helps raise HDL without increasing total cholesterol).  Eating solubel fiber will help.  Supplementing with cranberry juice (also comes in capsule form) and Omega-3 (fish oil or flaxseed) helps.

If you or your doctor wants to raise the HDL faster by using prescription medications, niacin would be the drug to use.  It has it's own side effects though and I don't know if it would be compatable with your A-fib.

BTW, your A-fib itself might present a greater stroke risk than plague formation.  A-fib allows blood to stagnate in the atria and form tiny clots.  Those clots can shot straight up through the carotid artery to the brain where they can occlude arteries and cause strokes.  Or, they can increase back-pressure and cause rupture (bleeding) of a vessel that has been weakened by years of hypertension.  I'm not trying to scare you.  Only pointing out the importance of controlling A-fib and that there is a total picture that includes more than just tight cholesterol control.

Mary
LDL 65 = 1.68 mmol/L which is the lowest I've seen.
HDL 24 = 0.62 mmol/L which is a little low, should be > 1 BUT due to the low LDL you have a great ratio still. The UK guidelines at the moment (they do seem to change every year) are 1(or more) to 4. So one (min) of HDL to 4 LDL.
You have 1 to less than 3 which is well within expected ratios in people with heart problems.
Who is telling you that your LDL is too high and your HDL is too low?
People do seem to worry about HDL because it's labelled as GOOD and they want this high. However, if you don't have much LDL for it to deal with, theres no point in having an abundance of it.
I still don't see a problem with your lipid ratios.