Heart Disease Community

Magnesium supplements side effects

Is heart pain/chest pain ever a side effect of Magnesium Taurate 125mg suppplements?
I take it for depression and after 3 weeks I feel a pain in my heart/chest within 1 hour after taking.
Also, I bought some for my Mom who has leg cramps and hypertension,  which mag/taurate should help.   She had what felt llke heart pain the 2nd night she took the supplement.  She went to her cardiologist the next day and had a complete workup which showed nothing unusual.  
My mom stopped taking the supplement and now I have also.
  Is heart pain sometimes a side effect of magnesium amino acid combos?

Thank you for your comments,
mojave

I
I've been taking magnesium glycinate for over a year and haven't noticed any side effects.  It's hard for me to see how chelated magnesium could cause cardiac pains, but maybe what you are experiencing is acid indigestion from the amino acid component.  You could try magnesium oxide, but it tends to cause loose bowels.   Regardless of how or why the magnesium taureate is causing your side effect symptoms, it sounds like it's not going to work well for you or your mom.  That's too bad for the two of you, because I really like the effect on my blood pressure.  I've gone from taking four blood pressure medications to two, and I'm working on dropping a third medication.  But if it was causing heartburn, I wouldn't take it.  I had that issue with niacin for high cholesterol.  Just couldn't take it, because of heartburn.  If I had continued on the niacin, I would have had to add an acid blocking medication, and I didn't want to.  There's a thought, though.  The next time you take the magnesium (if you do) and if you get the chest pain, you could try taking a couple of Tums and see if the pain goes away.  That would give you your answer.  If Tums eliminates the symptom, then it's a question of acid stomach or gastric reflux.
I developed acute kidney failure three months after starting magnesium supplements to correct my severe magnesium deficiency. I didn't realise my kidneys were not up to scratch!

Minor side effects of taking magnesium include diarrhea and abdominal cramping, stomach upset, nausea, and vomiting. Signs of magnesium toxicity may be similar to those of magnesium deficiency and include irregular heartbeat, changes in mental status, loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhea, muscle weakness, extremely low blood pressure, and difficulty in breathing.

You may be affected by the additives in the product perhaps. You may want to try a different form of magnesium such as glycinate or citrate.
Just to add, magnesium toxicity are quite similar to magnesium deficiency symptoms but my symptoms of magnesium deficiency included constipation and high blood pressure.

That's why I use transdermal magnesium oil (magnesium chloride flakes diluted in filtered water 50/50) and spirulina, as there are no such issues.
Anything taken in isolation-away from the synergy of other nutrients
co-exisitng in nature- is potentially dangerous.
The magnesium miracle
Cheers!
Niko
Red _Star,

Thanks for the toxicity info.  May I ask what symptoms alerted you to kidney failure while taking the Magnesium.   Were you taking a chelated Magnesium?    
        I suspect, as you suggested, that in my case the culprit was the additives in this particular  brand, "Cardiovascular Research, LTD" as 2 of us with very different medical issues had the same reaction.  I have ordered some Albion Lab Magnesium/Glycinate which does not have any additives. I am hoping for better results with this reliable  brand

Thanks for sharing your insight and here's to improving health,
   mojave

I have heard that transdermal Magnesium works as a good alternative to the capsules.   And that even taking a bath with 3 cups of good ol' epsom salts added will give one a beneficial dose of Magnesium.  
      How does the spirulina play into your regimen?  It is a separate application?  
       I intend to read "The Miracle of Magnesium" book asap. Carolyn Deans website  www.carolyndean.com has good info.

happy health.
            mojave