Heart Disease Forum

Medication after heart surgery

I had a aortic valve replacement and two cardicac bypasses in July of 2010. I am taking Spironolactone 25mg, Metropolol 50mg, and Simvastin 40mg for my heart.  Also Oxycodone 240mg per day for back pain and Paxil 20mg for depression. These medications are causing a very dry mouth and resulting in extensive dental carries and associated expense. What is my risk of heart failure or death if I stop taking the heart medications?  If my risk is a 30per cent or so increase I would be willing to stop the medications. If the risk is 80 or 90 percent, then that is another thing althogether.
Your symptom of dry mouth is likely not related to the heart medications, but instead due to the high-dose of oxycodone and paxil is another culprit for dry mouth.  Spironolactone, metoprolol and simvastatin do not typically cause dry mouth.  I would talk to whoever is prescribing your anti-depressant and look into trying another one.  There are many different anti-depressants.  Also, if possible I would try to cut back on your oxycodone to see if that helps.  You are on a very high dose.  I cannot tell you what your risk of heart failure or death would be if you stopped your heart medications because I do not know all of the details of your heart history but we do know that statins in patients with heart disease decrease your risk of having a cardiac event (such as heart attack or death) over your lifetime of 40-50%.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.