Heart Disease Forum

Medication

This is a follow up to my posting of the other day.My Dr. says I could try a beta blocker for my pvc's. I have tried one a long time ago,(1983) and didn't like it because it made me feel sluggish. Could you comment on a beta blocker that you think is ok, and maybe has few side effects?If there is such a thing.
Also ,I just started taking one each, potassium and magnesium pill a day, on the suggestion of this forum. Could be too early to tell, but it seems to be helping. Is this phsyco-symatic on my part or is there something to this as well? Thanks. ( Sorry for any spelling )
Dear Andy,

Thank you for your question. I tend to favor using beta-blockers for PVC's only as a last resort.  Here is some general information about beta-blockers.  As far as specific medication advice we recommend following the advice of your physician.

Beta-blockers are used to treat high blood pressure, angina (chest pain), heart attacks, heart rhythm problems such as atrial fibrillation and more recently heart failure.  

Potential side effects include: >10 % mental depression, tiredness, weakness, dizziness
1-10% Bradycardia (slow heart rate), wheezing, irregular heart beat, reduced peripheral circulation, heartburn
<1% Rash, chest pain, constipation, decreased sexual activity, itching, nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, insomnia, heart failure, nightmares, confusion, headache, impotence, cold extremities.

Potential drug interactions include:
Increased effect of metoprolol - amiodarone, cimetidine, diltiazem, nifedipine, nicardipine, verapamil, flecainide, hydralazine, MAO inhibitors, quinidine, ciprofloxacin, propafenone, oral contraeptives, fluoxetine, sertraline.

Decreased effect of metoprolol - NSAIDS, salycylates, barbiturates, rifampin, clonidine.

The dosage and frequency depend upon the individuals metabolism and the drug being used.

There are no substitutes to beta-blockers. There are no drugs to counteract the side effects of beta blockers.

I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.

If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.