Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Posted by Elena on July 10, 1999 at 12:02:06
Hello. I have recently been diagnosed with a grade I posterior prolapse of the mitral valve by  myxomatous degeneration with mild mesotelesystolic regurgitation without hemodynamic repercussion. Please explain. How progressive is this? I'm 47 and have just found out about this now. I was lifting weights and had an arrhythmia- sinus tachycardia. After I finished a stress test, after the cooldown, I had another arrhythmia. I am not on medication and only feel palpitations every now and then. More so  if I get nervous or upset. Is heavy weight lifting contraindicated? What about 5 lb. weights? What about Yoga with its inverted poses? What about aerobics? I do step aerobics 3 times a week.
Really looking forward to your answer.
Elena

Posted by Elena on July 10, 1999 at 12:06:37
I forgot to mention that sometimes I feel as if I can't get a deep breath. This happens once in while.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on July 12, 1999 at 10:05:28
Probably not related.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

0 Responses
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.