Heart Disease Forum

Multiple heart valve repair/replacement surgery

Hi.  How safe is having heart surgery where more than one valve needs repair/ replacement.  Do most people survive and are complications rare or common?  It would be the mitral valve and tricuspid valve in a 78 year old on the frail side.  There is severe pulmonary hypertension and a heart cath will be done to determine if the pressure is constant or not.  If it is not constant, they can do the surgery.
mary,

thanks for the post.

The mortality and morbidity clearly vary by the experience of the medical center and experience of the surgeon and the valve needing replacement.

Since I'm unclear which valve you are referring, I've included a link to our center's outcomes which are available on the web:

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/about/surgoutcomes/default.asp?firstCat=59&secondCat=440

Other centers should have similar data for your perusal.

good luck
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.