Heart Disease Forum

My 18 year old son has Hypertension and Bradycardia

My son had hand surgery last June and during post op he had extremely high blood pressure that they had to give him medicine for before releasing him from the hospital. Well we thought maybe it was a fluke, but ever since then we started monitoring in and his reading would be in the average of 168/116 and his pulse in the 50's. His doctor put him on blood pressure medicines (2 different kinds 3 x a day) after increasing, changing it out, adding to it, etc and after 4 months his blood pressure readings at dr office still remains about 150/100 -110 and pulse rate in the 40's. They finally sent him to a cardiologist this month and so far they have done blood work, echocardiogram, renal artery duplex, 24 hour protein, he is wearing a heart monitor for 30 days and has a stress test tomorrow. I am worried because so far all tests have come back normal. He is 6'0" and 165 lbs so not overweight at all. He was born 8 weeks premature and was diagnosed with asthma and on meds for that until he was 10, but doesn't have any problems with asthma anymore unless he gets a cold. He doesn't drink or smoke. We do have a family history of HBP and my brother passed away at 42 of a heart attack, but no one this young has had problems with their BP
It may be necessary for his physician to change around some of his medications or add another agent (and one that does not affect his heart rate as much) in order to optimize in lowering his blood pressure.  Other conditions that can lead to high blood pressure should also be ruled out which include problems with the endocrine system (thyroid, hormone secreting tumor) or problems with his renal arteries (which you reported were normal).
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.