Heart Disease Forum

My heart rate seems slow

I am 39 years old and morbidly obese. I recently started WW and have lost 15 lbs. I have experienced PVC's which my Dr told me were normal and nothing to be concerned with. I recently within the last 2 months began losing weight and I am walking on my treadmill for 45 mins a day @ 1.5 to 1.8 mph.....I have noticed, in the last couple of days, my heart rate has gone down to 50 bpm while I am sitting down working on my computer. I am wondering if this bad or something I should be concerned with??
I am not quite sure what WW stand for. Congratulations on your weight loss and exercise program. With regards to your heart rate, the normal heart rate is typically between 60 and 100. Sometimes, individuals, particularly, conditioned atheletes and the elderly can have resting heart rates in the 50's. This may be entirely normal. It is reassuring that you are not having symptoms of lightheadedness, or feeling faint or fatigued. Of course, the safest thing to do is to get evaluated by your physician. Your doctor will be able to listen to your heart, check your pulse, review an EKG, and decide if your slow resting heart rate warrants any further evaluation.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.