NOCTURNAL PALPITATIONS

I am a 58 year old male.In the past few weeks I started experiencing palpitations while I am sleeping.They seem to start when I take a deep breath.They started to last for a couple of hours and I tried getting up  to walk about ,exercise , have a hot drink- anything to distract attention away from the fast beating heart. I have stopped all coffees and t eas containing caffeen and my cardiologist prescribed magnesium effeversent tablets(300 mg  Magnelon) 2/day for 5 days and then 1 /day for 25 days. I  have 4 more days to go.
The palpitations still occur about 2/3 times a night but do not last for so long,I do not need to get out of bed . Are they going to disapear completely or is this the best I can hope for?Is there anything else I can do to get rid of them?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Palpitations are very common but unfotunately also very annoying for patients.   Most of the time they are totally benign (normal) as long as you have a structurally normal heart.  To evaluate palpitations, we normally recommend you have basic labs checked including a TSH (thyroid level).  We would then get a baseline EKG, an echocardiogram (an ultrasound of the heart) and likely give you a Holter monitor to see what the palpitations are to make sure you are not having an arrhythmia.  There are medications we use (beta-blockers or calcium-channel blockers) which can slow down the abnormal beats and allow you to feel them less.  These meds can sometimes make people feel a little fatigued or tired so if the palpitations bother you most at night maybe that would be a good thing for you.  I would make sure you have been fully evaluated with the above tests in addition.  

Hope this helps.  Good Luck1
Helpful - 2
Hi Andy, I have had palpitations for about 5 years now.  I get them anytime of the day or in bed. I dont know if I get them while I am asleep, they have never woken me up anyway.  I had ECG monitoring for a week which I had to click if I got one and it recorded it. I also had a transthoracic echocardiogram which showed I had a structurally normal heart.  Apparently some people are just more aware of them than others. They dont really bother me except sometimes they make me catch my breathe.  I am quite used to it now and like to put my hand over my heart to feel it - strange I know but I think I would miss them now.  :-) Hope that reassures you.  
Helpful - 0
have you had a sleep study done to see if you have Sleep Apnea?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.