Heart Disease Forum

Need help in lowering systolic blood pressure

I am a 59 year old female, weight 135, height 5'2" who has had hypertension for about 15 yrs.  I have also had PACs off and on over the past few years. I get a moderate amt of exercise. I was on Toprol XL 50mg for 2 yrs and very gradually my pressure was a little higher, 140-150/78. My doctor (a GP) added a diaretic, hydrochlorothiazide, but it didn
llmom,

Thanks for the post, and we certainly appreciate you as well.

Q1:"Are there any other suggestions for medication rather than taking 3 pills a day for the BP?"

Most hypertension patients require more than 1 medicine to control the blood pressure.  Your relative intolerance to several medications makes treating you more difficult.

Q2:"Are there are there any things besides the medication I can do to lower systolic number?"

Lifestyle changes can often drop the blood pressure another 5 points or so.  Things like weight loss, exercise, and avoidance of alcohol and stimulants is a good start.  Eating a high-potassium diet helps in some people as well.

Q3:"Would it be higher then than if I took it in the middle of the day?"

There's an easy way to find out...take your blood pressure during the day.  Try in the morning upon awakening, and then again midday.

Treating high blood pressure requires a partnership with your doctor, and potentially a willingness to tolerate some side effects.  The effort put in now pays dividends later by not having strokes and other complications.

Best of luck.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.