Heart Disease Community

POLL: Aspirin Therapy

I was recently started on aspirin therapy and because this is so new to me, I am wondering how many others are taking an aspirin.  If so, what dose have you been prescribed?  I'm on one 325mg coated aspirin/day.

Thanks all!'

Connie
Hi...I've been on asprin therapy for many years...I take one 81mg asprin per day.  Just be sure to tell any other doc you see prior to having any procedures done as you might need to stop the asprin therapy (like for surgeries, dental work, etc).
I really wish that I could because it is sooo important, but I abused aspirin and ibuprofen (NSAIDS) years ago and caused ulcers in my small intestines and stomach. Now I have really bad peptic ulcer pain when I take aspirin even though the ulcers are cured :(

I do take Plavix religiously though....

Jack
I've taken 81mg daily for the past nine years.  I went through a period of time when my arms bruised and the skin tore very easily because of the aspirin, and it became worse when I started taking Plavix.  When I started taking Omega 3 fish oil tabs, 1 gram X 2 daily, the bruising stopped.  The Doc thinks that I have been too vigorous in avoiding fats in my diet and the fish oil supplements helped counter the bruising and tearing of the skin.
Thanks for the responses!  I kept hearing about the benefits of taking an aspirin, but figured I'd get to that "later."  Looks like "later" is now.....

Is anyone taking 325mg? I figured more people would be on the adult dose, guess not.  Anyone know the treatment significance between the baby aspirin and the adult aspirin?
I've never heard of taking that much asprin for daily asprin therapy.  Seems like a lot; but then again, I'm no doc.
My research on the effective dose for heart patients is 81 mg daily.  That dosage is effective in preventing clots which is the concern for most heart patients.

Also, after many years of doctors' advising taking an antibiotic for valve disorders prior to dental procedures, has recently been aknowledged by the medical community to be no longer necessary.  But there are exceptions such as non-biological valve prosthesis, but for heart murmurs, regurg it is not necessary.
According to American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease, when using current echocardiographic criteria for diagnosing MVP, the prevalence is 1 percent to 2.5 percent of the population. Even this estimate means millions of people have been taking antibiotics prior to dental procedures.

Patients at the greatest danger of bad outcomes from IE and for whom preventive antibiotics prior to a dental procedure are worth the risks include those with:

artificial heart valves
a history of having had IE
certain specific, serious congenital (present from birth) heart conditions, including
unrepaired or incompletely repaired cyanotic congenital heart disease, including those with palliative shunts and conduits
a completely repaired congenital heart defect with prosthetic material or device, whether placed by surgery or by catheter intervention, during the first six months after the procedure
any repaired congenital heart defect with residual defect at the site or adjacent to the site of a prosthetic patch or a prosthetic device
a cardiac transplant which develops a problem in a heart valve.
"Except for the conditions listed above, antibiotic prophylaxis is no longer recommended for any other form of congenital heart disease,¡¨ the statement said.
I was so happy to hear when the AHA and the ACC said some of us no longer needed antiobiotics!  I took them for over 25 years!!  I don't miss that at all!

I had that weird eye thing (partial loss of vision) and that led to taking the aspirin. Hmmmm.....My doctor started to say,a baby aspirin then changed his mind to the 325mg.  I'm going in for an echo bubble test and a carotid art. ultrasound in a couple of weeks so I'm going to ask about that.  Do you happen to know anything about the bubble test?  I haven't come across anyone that's had one (yet) : )

Thanks for your help!
Hi, I am also taking the ecotrin 81mg
Doctor put me on asprin regiment about 4 years ago, 81 mg, saved me from my heart having damage, had triple bypass, no heart attack. It does what it is suppose to do.
JKJ, kenkeith, Sirenet, penney4

Thanks for your input!  OK, so what's the deal with taking 325mg?  Hmmmm......Anyone else on aspirin therapy?  Any ideas as to why I might be on a higher dose?  I'm not getting the impression that it is any more effective.  Any ideas?  Hmmmmm
I have been taking 325 mg for about a year....there is good information on both Mayo clinic and webmd.  you really should put them in your favorites.