Heart Disease Forum

PVC

Dear Doctor:

I understand some PVC's are more dangerous than others. With a normal heart structure and normal echo's, ekg etc ... the incidence of PVC's are rarely a problem or considered benign?

Second, I read last night that depending upon depolarization of the PVC's can be a predictor for VT or V-fib? In a normal heart without no underlying heart disease is this still valid? Meaning that the person is still at risk of Vtach should his PVC occur on the T wave also known as the vulnerable period of ventricular repolarization may precipitate into VT or VF? Does this still mean people with normal hearts have high risks should this occurr?

I was told I have benign PVC's even though they sometimes ocurr in couplets but 99% of the time they are isolated. Am I reading too much into this? I have been told to ignore them ..not so easy to do. My cousin is a top cardiac surgeon at Sunnybrook hospital in Canada and he says its not your heart that will kill you but your mind thinking of this.

Does PVC's increase with age always? My father has LVH due to high BP, and he has PVC's does this mean I would get LVH without having High BP- I am 38 now? I am just worried about how predisposed I am to all of this because my PVC's came after our first child and they never went away after that although the frequency is not very high. Usually, every 4 months I get 200 or so and then the odd thump here are there.  All tests normal each yr. Finally, my cardiologist is saying that I really dont need to see him yearly ? Should I insist? Many thanks.

medking,

Thanks for the post, your highness.

Q1:"the incidence of PVC's are rarely a problem or considered benign?"

In a general population of persons with structurally normal hearts, there is no good epidemiologic evidence to suggest that PVCs affect the longevity of the populace.  Individuals, however, with PVCs may feel badly from them due to palpitations.

Q2:"Second, I read last night that depending upon depolarization of the PVC's can be a predictor for VT or V-fib?"

Some PVCs may indicate that a person has ARVD, a very rare condition.

I think that you would agree that a cough is a fairly benign symptom? However, uncommonly it may indicate cancer or TB.  Similarly, PVCs can indicate essentially nothing, like a cough, or rarely may indicate something wrong, like a cough.

Q3:" Am I reading too much into this?"

All I can say, is that in a population as a whole with structurally normal hearts, PVCs have not been shown to increase mortality.

Q4:"Does PVC's increase with age always?"

No.

Q5:"Finally, my cardiologist is saying that I really dont need to see him yearly ? Should I insist? "

Most patients with PVCs don't need to see a cardiologist.

Best of luck.

Sorry about the post, I just remembered not to post for 2 months. I will stay away re: posting after this last one.  I will comment but not post. Thanks and sorry!!
Just looking at one of my past ECG's and it showed the following:

Vent, rate 118 BPM
PR interval  164 ms
QRS duration 104 ms
QT/QTc 328/459 ms
P-R-T axes 47  - 16 - 18

Sinus Tachycardia
NonSpecific T wave abnormality
Abnormal ECG

What does this mean??
I have another ECG on hand:

Vent Rate 117 BPM
PR Interval 160ms
QRS Duration 100 ms
QT/QTc 288/398 ms
P-R-T axes 51-42-36

Whats up with this. The cardio never eluded to any abnormality re: Prolonged QT?
Can you comment on the two ecg data provided?

Thanks,
Just spoke a cardiologist out of NY- he was a cheif of staff at one the majors in NYC. Actually, he is my best friends father. I faxed him everything I had and he said: I have no R on T, no Long QT syndrome, just unifocal PVC's and probably most predisposed to this due to an adrenogenic response (anxiety) causing much of this.  In any case, all is normal nothing to be concerned about.  Told me to take the atenenol for a while till I feel better - he said 12.5 mg per day is less than a childs dose and even suggested going to 25 mg to have any real impact. In any case, I feel much better and thanks for your support. Much appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Friend,

Abe
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.