Heart Disease Forum

PVCs + beta blocker

I have pvcs that seem to start every 3 weeks(approx) and stick around for a couple of weeks and then go away until the next cycle. I have runs of them and have been put on Metoprolol 25 mg. This worked for awhile but stopped working recently, so I tried taking passionflower extract in addition. This worked well and strangely I wake up in the morning without pvcs and they only start about 1 hr AFTER I take my daily dose of Metoprolol. Can the beta blocker cause PVCs? Please let me know if you have run into this. I also worry about my liver with any medication since I have Hep C
(early stage). Thanks.
Withdrawal from the beta blocker can worsen PVCs, and the medication may be interacting with the passionflower extract. You are on a very low dose of the metoprolol and I would stop taking the extract and increase the dose of the metoprolol to three times per day. Metoprolol is an 8 hour drug and you may have breakthrough after the eight hours.
A related discussion, Metoprolol was started.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.