Heart Disease Forum

Palpitation is there any cure???????

I am 48 years old. I exercise 4 days a week, which includes cardo and weight traning. I have begun to miss periods and right after my period I experence heart palpitation. They last up to 3 days and they scare me so much. I'm am confused weather I should see a Cardiologist or a Gynecologist. I do not experence the palpitation on a regular basis only when my body seems to be going through hormone changes. Is there any thing I can do to stop these palitation??? Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thank You Denise
Dear Denise,  

There does seem to be a correlation between hormonal changes and palpitations.  It may be you are starting menopause.  I would suggest seeing a gynecologist first.  Horomone replacement therapy may "cure" the palpitations.
I am not in perimenopause myself(yet), but I find a strong connection between arrythmias and the point of my cycle I am in (mine tend to be worse during my period, and begin to improve afterward).  Don't worry!  My understanding is that it is really pretty common with this lovely "stage of life" we females go through.  Sounds like you could really benefit from low dose BC or hormone replacement.  Meanwhile, try not to worry and eat those fruits and veggies.  Maybe a magnesium supplement (to feel like you are doing something!)  A cardiologist may make you feel better, but unless you have other symptoms (like chest pain, faintness) you are probably A-okay (just uncomfortable).  Hang in there! As you can guess, the fear and anxiety definitely make them worse.
Thanks for your encouraging comments.
I think you would find the previous postings under Q:Palpatations-Joanie 10/16/99 Quite interesting. The doctor responses were quite different especially about hormone replacement therapy. I too have been having problems with my menstrual cycle for the past few months accompanied by very frequent pvc's for several weeks at a time. I know that the palpitations are hormonal related. It seems logical to me. I find comfort in your response to the possibility (probability) that menopause and palpitations are related. Even when I was younger I had an increase in pvc's three days before my periods.Once the period started I was fine till the next month.Thank you so much for seeing the "connection". Thank you for being here.
My OB tells me that PVC's are not a part of menopause, however, I truly believe they are hormonal....I get alot of them also right before my period and during...and then they calm down after that...I am 46 and don't feel that I am too close to menopause, however, I do think there is a connection....OB's don't know everything I'm convinced...Maybe there's just not been enough research on it yet for them to be convinced, but I know my body better than a dr does.
There is not a consensus in the medical community concerning this topic and I have always made clear this is only my opinion.  However, in many many patients I have talked with this is a recurring topic of concern.  More research needs to be done in this area.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.