Heart Disease Forum

Palpitations

I am really worried.  I have palpitations daily but nothing like I had last night.  I have been checked out by a cariologist and they say nothing is wrong with my heart other than skipped beats. I was feeling really anxious when this happened.  

I was watching TV feeling anxious thinking about my heart when it skipped a beat.  It then skipped again the next minute and then again.  This happened every minute for so for 5 minutes.

I have a stethascope and I went to get it and laid back down on the couch.  I listened to it skip every other beat for 10 minutes!  It would beat normal, then do a little skip then a hard one.  I counted it 30 times per minute.  This went on for 10 minutes until I stood up.

I started to calm down and just laid there and listed to it skip.  I was going to get my husband to take me to the hospital but it seemed to stop and go back to its normal beating after 10 minutes.  Needless to say I slept in my clothes because I was so worried it would do it during the night and I would have to go to emergency.

Could an anxiety or panic attack bring this on for it to continue skipping like that every other beat for 10 minutes even after I had calmed down?  I am just absolutely horrified!  Now I see the single skips are not big deal compared to what happened to me last night with this irregular rythum for 10 full minutes.
crl,

thanks for the post.

Everything really depends on what has been discovered in your previous evaluation.  

Overall, from what you state, it really sounds like the familiar situation many of the other posters have suffered from with their PACs and PVCs. Many people see a wax and wane and even a frank change in the quality of their symptoms over time.

I realize it can be quite scary though. Sometimes, dealing with the underlying anxiety issues associated with palpitations can be more effective than actually treating the palipitations.

good luck
When I had PVCs real bad this would happen several times a day all day long for weeks, a PVC every other beat(bigeminy)It's the nastiest feeling of all. I was checked while having them by cardiologist  and he told me not worry, they'd probably come and go like that all my life. Its been over 5 years since my last bad episode. I rarely have them anymore, maybe its the atenolol and cozaar I take to control hypertension.Hope you feel better soon. I know how distressing this can be.
I can't imagine this happening again!  It was the nastiest feeling I have ever had.  I thought for sure I was a goner!  I don't think I can go through another bout of those.
I'm a professional athlete and i know that my left ventricul is very little dilated (it disappears when i have one month rest). Do i still have a structurally normal heart with this?  And are my pvc's still benign?
I've actually been in the doctor's office in bigeminy and her comment was, "it's only bigeminy."  Don't worry - you may never find a reason.  These pesky skips appear and disappear at the strangest times, often for no reason whatsoever.  

There was a time when I pretty much lived in bigeminy.  Seriously, with a structually normal heart, it's really no more significant than single skips.  Not to worry.
Have you been checked out by a cardio?  If so, is he/she the one that told you about the slightly enlarged ventricle?  With a doctor's stamp of approval, I wouldn't let it worry you.  Just another of life's mysteries : )
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.