Heart Disease Community

Please share your experience with a heart attack or hiatal hernia, it may help ot...

...hers with either condition. - Heart Attack Symptoms or Hiatal Hernia (Pictures)     Heart attacks and hiatal hernias both may initially cause no symptoms.         Coughing is a symptom of hiatal hernia.    Heart attack occurs when a blood clot partially or completely blocks a blood vessel in the heart. The clot stops oxygen delivery to the muscle beyond the clot, which causes that portion of the heart muscle to die.A hiatal hernia is a digestive (gastroesophageal, GI) tract condition in which part of the stomach pushes up through the diaphragm into the chest cavity.Many people having a heart attack or those who have a hiatal hernia have no symptoms. However, when symptoms do occur, they both cause chest pain that may radiate to the arm, back, and neck.Heart attack symptoms and signs that are different hiatal hernias include shortness of breath and chest pain (which may feel like a tightness, fullness, pressure, or ache), profuse sweating, and nausea.Other signs and symptoms of a heart attack may include:Heart palpitationsJaw acheThe pain only in the shoulders or armsA woman having a heart attack also may also have symptoms and signs like extreme weakness and fatigue.Hiatal hernia symptoms and signs that are different from a heart attack include:Severe heartburnIndigestionDifficulty swallowingCoughingBelchingHiccupsUpper abdominal painGERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)Acid refluxA hiatal hernia can mimic heart attack symptoms, but they are not related.Heart attacks are caused by a buildup of plaque in the arteries, which results in a coronary artery becoming blocked, while heartburn is a symptom of another digestive problem that causes stomach acid to back up or reflux into the esophagus.Usually, a hiatal hernia and its symptoms are not life-threatening.Heart attacks are a life-threatening emergency. If you think you or someone you are with is having a heart attack call 911 immediately.
I have hiatal hernia with acid reflux, upon exertion, early morning upon rising, and bending over. Daily it causes increased frequency, tightness in my throat, dull aching throat and esophagus, belching, chest pressure, difficulty in swallowing and shortness of breath. It is worse after eating, and I have some relief after belching and drinking ice water, deep breathing and sitting down. I have coronary artery disease, HIV, chronic kidney disease, bad lipids and hypertension. I have been on HAART (HIV medicines) for 29 years.
Years ago I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, it went away for many years with no problems. Eight years later its back. I have pain in my chest, down my left arm and in my jaw. I had 3 ECGs and all clear, blood tests clear, all the doctors believe it is angina. It happens after food. If my acid is down I can run up 5 floors, no problem. Just waiting for the cardiologist appointment to go on the running machine. I believe it is the phrenic nerve that passes though the diaphragm that is causing the arm and jaw pain. We shall see.
I was diagnosed with 2 cm sliding hiatal hernia in 1993. My symptoms were right side chest pain, throat pain, and right paresthesia (tragus only), and no heartburn. Cardiac involvement was ruled out. My symptoms only occur when sitting, not supine or standing. It is worse with tight belted pants. I believe cause is increased abdominal pressure when sitting pushing stomach harder which irritates vagus nerve resulting in referred pain. Especially because of paresthesia of tragus which is enervated only by vagus.
A recent chest x-ray revealed a large hiatal hernia next to my heart. I have had digestion problems for a number of years but none of my doctors sought further tests. A very recent routine chest x-ray for a bad cough picked up this problem. In a way this is good news for me because I now know how to treat myself. I can also go to a hospital now if the attack is bad.
January 31,2020: I've had two heart attacks. On Friday afternoon I started to have pain in my chest. I called 911 an they took me to the emergency room. After an overnight stay they let me come home. No heart attack. Blood work turned up nothing. They said it might have been angina or a hiatal hernia. It does mimic a heart attack. When your chest hurts don't hesitate to get help.
Ten months ago I was awakened in the middle of the night with jaw and chest pain that also went to my back. It went away pretty quickly so I didn't call emergency because I was a dumbbell denier. Happened another time so I went to the emergency room (all tests fine), and back again to have an angiogram and was told the veins were perfect and not clogged at all. I have terrible heartburn that was getting worse, so had an endoscopy along with my colonoscopy today, and they found a small hiatal hernia.