Heart Disease Forum

PostPartumCardiomyopothy or not?

Hi, I have been diagnosed with PPCM....But now my cardiologist thinks that it may have come from my high blood pressure. I was at an ef of 15% and my pressure was 170/120. Within 10 weeks I went to 50, and doc believes I will recover fully, but they cnat seem to control my pressure, again at 168/128. I was diagnosed as pre-eclamptic. What do you think the chances are that I actually had chronic hypertension? I have nothing to go on becasue I had not seen a doc for 4 years befor the pregnancy. Cant untreated high bloodpressure lead to cardiomyopathy which leads to CHF? I really want to have another baby, so thats why im trying to find out everything that I can.
   Thanks,
      Justine
Dear Justine79,

Hope everything goes well with your new baby. Untreated hypertension can lead to congestive heart failure or weakening of the heart muscle. However, this usually occurs over decades and is not readily reversible. I have not reveiwed the specifics of your case but I think Peripartum Cardiomyopathy is a likely cause of what happened. This is important because women who have experienced peripartum cardiomyopathy are at risk for recurrence. Discuss this further with your doctor.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.