Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20.1k Members

Pregnancy & Ventricular Tachycardia

History: 30 years old; nonsustained ventricular tachycardia started in August (doctors say pregnancy and arrhythmia unrelated); no structural heart problems found in echos although an MRI has not been done to rule out AVRD; currently 12 weeks pregnant; taking Metoprolol 50 mg with symptoms only.

Hello. I was wondering if you have information on treatment options for pregnant patients with ventricular tachycardia. Symptoms are progressing with the pregnancy and the medication suppresses most but not all the tachycardia. What are the other options when vagal maneuvers and medication do not work? The cardiologist mentioned ablation later in the pregnancy. Also, am I at a high risk for sudden death and/or what risks to future baby?

Thank you!
1 Responses
61536 tn?1340701763
Is this ventricular tachycardia or supraventricular tachycardia?  They're quite different.  With VT, you could be at risk for some problems.  With SVT, it's not uncommon and it isn't typically dangerous.

ARVD is often genetic, from my understanding.  Do you have a family history of heart problems?  

If they have mentioned ARVD, then you probably do have ventricular tachycardia (VT). The puzzle comes in when determining whether you have VT caused by ARVD or not.

Vagal maneuvers may not help if it's ARVD, but beta blockers are a course of treatment either way and you're on the Metoprolol, which is good.  I would want to be working closely with a cardiologist if I were you.

Best wishes, congrats on your pregnancy, and I hope all goes perfectly.
Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.