Heart Disease Community

Pregnancy & Ventricular Tachycardia

History: 30 years old; nonsustained ventricular tachycardia started in August (doctors say pregnancy and arrhythmia unrelated); no structural heart problems found in echos although an MRI has not been done to rule out AVRD; currently 12 weeks pregnant; taking Metoprolol 50 mg with symptoms only.

Hello. I was wondering if you have information on treatment options for pregnant patients with ventricular tachycardia. Symptoms are progressing with the pregnancy and the medication suppresses most but not all the tachycardia. What are the other options when vagal maneuvers and medication do not work? The cardiologist mentioned ablation later in the pregnancy. Also, am I at a high risk for sudden death and/or what risks to future baby?

Thank you!
Is this ventricular tachycardia or supraventricular tachycardia?  They're quite different.  With VT, you could be at risk for some problems.  With SVT, it's not uncommon and it isn't typically dangerous.

ARVD is often genetic, from my understanding.  Do you have a family history of heart problems?  

If they have mentioned ARVD, then you probably do have ventricular tachycardia (VT). The puzzle comes in when determining whether you have VT caused by ARVD or not.

Vagal maneuvers may not help if it's ARVD, but beta blockers are a course of treatment either way and you're on the Metoprolol, which is good.  I would want to be working closely with a cardiologist if I were you.

Best wishes, congrats on your pregnancy, and I hope all goes perfectly.