Aa
A
A
A
Close
Heart Disease Community
20k Members
323615 tn?1226196996

Puh-leese, Will Someone Answer this Question Directly?

A 91-yr-old female patient with end-stage CHF has a BNP level of 1070.  What does this mean to you?
3 Responses
592969 tn?1248329005
B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) (neurohormone) secreted mainly in cardiac ventricles due to volume expansion and pressure overload.  The higher the level the worse the CHF. BNP levels can go higher, sometimes seen in 4000 range.  Increasing BNP level would mean CHF worsening.  Creatinine levels are important for checking for kidney dysfuntion.  My mom had a BNP level of over 1000 for a few years and I believe hers went up to over 3000 range.  She had CHF for 12 years and passed away last September at the age of 70.  
My daughter had a BNP that was over 7000, so that level can go very high. For us it was really bad because she has a transplanted heart. Normal BNP levels are 100 or less.
323615 tn?1226196996
Thanks for giving me insight about bnp levels.  This helps me to understand how it can vary, depending on condition.  I just read that the normal bnp level is 300.  However, as I continue my caregiving for my mom, I continue to learn.  My mother is in end-stage heart failure according to the doctor, and it increases every time we go for Mother's 3-month check-up.

Today, it's the blood pressure that I'm concerned about.  CHF/Alzheimer's is horrific for my mother and me. If I ever get through this, which I will, after my own respite I will be helping someone who is caregiver for a patient with the above diagnosis.  Knowing that I'm not the only one who cares for this condition in my Mother creates within me a desire to help.

Have an Answer?
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1538184537
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1506084164
Netherlands
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.