Heart Disease Forum

Pulled muscle and PVCs?

Hello, a month ago I was working out and I stressed my ab muscles fairly hard.  That evening I starting having PVCs for the first time.  I am 28, male and I am fairly active.  I have no history of heart disease in my family but my mother does have PVCs.  I had an EKG to confirm PVCs.  I also had a Holter monitor but do not know the results.

The PVCs went away after about 3 weeks along with the pain I was experiencing in my left lower ab area.  However, I was working on  my car this weekend and stressing my abs again and the pain and PVCs returned.

Do I have an injury that needs to heal?  I have acid reflux but haven't been really bothered with it for a month or so.  I drink a can of pop or an iced tea per day.  (No smoke, no drink, no drugs)
Dear b,
I have never heard of an association between strained muscles and PVCs.  Stress can increase PVCs so perhaps the discomfort of the muscle strain increased the PVCs or made you more aware of them.  It will be interesting to see if anyone else has noticed similar complaints.
I think Acid Reflux can somtimes cause that.  

I can not post a question here so I am hoping somone will comment to this query of mine.

I have had EKG's, stress test, Event Monitor for a month, and 2D Echo, Blood culture done on me.  Everything is normal.  

While sitting and watching TV, my heart rates goes to 112 to 140.  Thats beacuse, I may be thinking about my heart and something happens and bang, I go into a panic stage.  

Other thing is, while I am sitting down, with a normal heart rate, when I get up, I get light headed and my rate slows down for couple of sens, before it gets back to its normal beating.  

I also get light headed somtimes while sitting or even laying down.  Usually I may get dizzy, sort of light headed, with pains on the side of my head.  Usually one side, left or right.  The pain is like a shooting pain.  Lasts for about a min or 2 but it hurts a little bit.  I can also feel my veins on th side of my head throbbing.  You can count your heart beat there as well.  

I also feel, out of breath sometimes.  On daily basis, I get shooting pains in the center, left Right, under neath the rib cage and back.  They last for secs but they hurt as well.

The last episode of a really fast heart beat was yesterday.  It must have gone to 145 at one time.  After an hour or so, it came down.  I guess me realxing helped a little bit.  When it was that high, I was shivering and cold.  I was pale.

My doctors have said that it is beacuse of anxiety.  I know what anxity is and think that It can not be that becuse I have never had anything like this happen to anyone in my family.  Anxieyt that is.  My Dad and Mom are both heart patients.

He has prescribed me xanacs, I take it sometimes when I feel i am about to loose it and go in a panic attack.  It helps  a little bit.

All this started about 3 months ago.  Before that, I had never felt like this.  Since then, I have made 5 visits to the emergency room.  Everytime I go there, they tell me its anxiety.  Maybe they are right.

I live a pretty decent life, I have quit smoking, hardly drink, once every 2 months or somthing.  I drink a cup of tea a day and maybe a sprite at luch time.  I do have acid reflux for which I ma taking Prosolac.  

The other day, for the very first time in my life I smoke a little bit of marijuana, very little amount.  Had a beer with it.  After about 20 mins of smoking that, my heart just started to pound really fast,  I thaught I was going to die.  I mean I could hear it beating.  The beats must have been 150 a min.  My friend, calmed me down by talking to me.  Eventually the heart rate came down.   The question is, could I have taken xanacs, knowing that I have also smoked a little bit of pot and had a beer.  I know they dont match well. and thats why I did not take it.  But can I take xanacs in that type of a sitution.  I know it does not work well with alcohol, what about marijuana.  I obvioully learned my lesson so it aint going to happen again, but I wanted to know, what would have happened, if I had taken xanacs.  Well will appreciate your response to this..

ThankYou.
I suffer from PACs (premature atrial contractions) that are caused by pulmonary vein foci (a common cause for both PACs and PVCs).  I also play competitive soccer and I have noticed that my PCAs do increase as a result of adrenaline surges (during and after play), as well as a result of physical injury to the chest area (the inevitable elbow shot to the ribs).  I suspect that there is a loose association with physical irritation in and around the chest area from any number of causes (GERD, colds, bloating after eating too much, etc) and the excitation of PV foci which in turn prompt an ectopic response by the atria.
The connection is very probably a nervous system one, however, remarkable as it seems, very little research in such associations has been reported...leaving it to the sufferers to speculate and contemplate.

Regarding pot smoking and heart rate. I do have PVC/PACs have been checked by electrophysiologists (heart rhythm specialist) and everything is ok. I have smoked pot about 4 times in my life (I'm 33 years old) and everytime I did, my heart would start beating about 150 bpms about 20 minutes after inhaling and that would keep me in a state of panic for about 20-30mins. Hence the reason why I don't do it and probably never will again. But the symptom that you  described is exactly what I have.
I've had the same kind of pain, in the center of my chest, and just under my left pectoris. I think their may be an association with the chest muscle, nad my PVC's/ PAC's though my problems might have been self inflicted. I was a heavy drinker in the past. Stopped drinking though, PVC's (as well as bradychardia HR = 54) are still there It's been three months since I have had a drink. Not sure if they will ever go away but vigorous excercise (running) seems to help a little.
Hey there,

Boy you remind me exactly of my symptoms.  In 1989 I started having funny feelings in my chest, usually after or during eating.  I also had feelings like I wasn't breathing right, that I couldn't breath from my lower abdomen.  Well, all the little blips I felt made me start to think my heart was doing some things.  I went to the doc and we surmised that maybe I had pulled a muscle.  Well, I was good for a year, but then it came back, and this time I started panicking about it.  I was eventually diagnosed with GERD, with explained the esophageal spasms and probably explained the PVCs.  Things seemed to clear up for a few years and in 1998 they came back.  Again, I thought I had pulled a muscle.  All the same feelings and the Gerd was back as well.  3 years later, all this is still going on.  My belief is that the stomach does have a big part in PVC's as far as I go.  Maybe I keep pulling a muscle, or maybe I have a partial hiatal hernia that keeps popping in and out.  I don't know.  I just wish I knew what was going on.

And to the person taking Xanax for anxiety, be very careful.  Xanax led me to full blown panic disorder because it's side effects were worse than not being on it.  It is very addictive.

V
When i exercise sometimes too much,and also be stressed,i've got something like muscle pvc's. I mean that my muscles contract without me wanting them to. Then, i have real pvc's too. Maybe there is some connection between these two.

Seems like a common connection between many people on this list.  PAC, PVC, GERD, Anxiety, Chest discomfort, and sometimes the fast heart rate.  I've been experiencing all of these to various degrees for 2 1/2 months solid.  The anxiety is definitely the worst part.  Xanax was initially prescribed and I agree with Vince63 - it made things worse.  I'm doing everything I can now to feel "normal" again - doctors, therapist, yoga, walking, meditation, medication, chat boards.
My question is this - is there anyone out there that has licked this combination of things?  If so, please post here and let us know that there is hope.  That alone would help me immensly.
I am a 22 year old male with an ongoing eight month health ordeal on hand. In March of 2001 i was extremely fatigued and having chest pain, diarreah, hot flashes(burning-normal temp.though) and nausea. In April i went to a doctor who ran tests on me saying i had elevated liver enzymes...anyways, long story short, in Sept. it was the worst. I was immobile for a week, dizzy beyond belief, sick, diarreah, unable to eat, tremors, some numbness---doctors told me not to worry. Anyways, i was okay for a week and in late Sept. it happened again. They finally found out that i had MONONUCLEOSIS about six months ago and i'm "most likely" in a chronic fatigue syndrome state. However my chest pains were terrible the other night, especcially underneath the left armpitand over towards the nipple. It started to hurt after dinner and this morning the pain is still there. I have no idea whats wrong with me, i'm more angry than scared, and i'm hoping some fellow suferers have done research on this and could lead me in the right direction. Thanks everyone.
I have anxity and panic disorder i am 17 years old anyone wanna chat
Well, I think I have found the right place. I'm not alone, it seems---even though my doctors cannot pin down exactly what I have. Like snhn, I have had a stress echo, stress EKG, and everything is normal. My doctor also suggested Acid Reflux Desease and prescribed a proton pump inhibitor. I refused the medication, however, finding it too expensive. Besides, I don't like to go down the medication path unless I know it is what I really need. My problem started rather suddenly this past Thanksgiving when I sneezed violently while lying in bed and felt a muscle pull deep in my chest just below the left breast area close to my sternum. I am still wearing a cardiac event monitor, and when I turn in the events at the end of the day, the technician says it looks normal except for these PVCs! I had the same condition in 1075 when I pulled a chest muscle while swing a brush hook over my head. At that time I also had panic attacks until I was assured my heart was in excellent shape. It took almost a year before the symptoms disappeared. I was subsequently diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I later discovered a newspaper article which stated myocardial sensitivity can cause these same symptoms, i.e., PVCs, rapid heart rate, etc., all relieved temporarily by burping. After readings these comments, I am now somewhat confident there is a connection between a rather minor chest injury and these strange symptoms I still have.
I am posting a message here because I found it very interesting and hope that my experience will help some of you out there.

I've had PVCs, and smoked marihuana, and had panic attacks, and get acid reflux -not in that order, but you get the picture.  So it's all very complex, and where do you start.  So let's start with the marihuana: had nice "escape" experiences, and full-blown panic attacks.  So a bad path for me this one.  Why the panic attacks(and paranoia), some times?  I studied and learned a lot about this (especially my fear/panic of flying), and finally went into therapy.  What I am trying to tell you is that there is a root, deep root, in your psychic, that's causing the anxiety/panic, and the PVCs, and chances are the answers are in your childhood.  You see: the child is like a sponge that absorbs many things.  So depending on how you really are -more or less absorbing, and let's just say now sensitive- good and bad experiences in your family, neighborhood, friends and community will get to you in different manners.  And that's what therapy can un-cover.  Panic is like a volcano that likes to explode when "it" feels it right to do so.  Behind this, there's a deep need of something in your psyche to come out, to see the light of day.  And it just happens that chooses the panic as its form, 'cause there's been injury, a split inside that never healed.

One potent form of control -so that the psychic contents don't just poured out at will- that I've learned and is highly recommended by many people is cognitive-behavioural therapy.  "Cognitive" means knowing when it's coming, and the "behavioural" part means that you can change the sense of being lost by taking steps that get you through it, like praying -if you are religiuous- or breath in, breath out, or closing your eyes and allow the images to come in.

And BIG ONE: reduce your stress, simplify your life -whatever it is-, and come in contact with the part that wants to speak, 'cause that's what the panic is looking for: a voice to tell you something that happened some time in your past.  And dream therapy -I've chosen Jung 'cause it strikes a chord inside of me.  AND, repeat to yourself that YOU ARE NOT ALONE, despite the high anxiety and isolation of our times.
You guys would be surprised how much help a balanced B Vitamin regieme will help you.  The Folic Acid is excellent for the heart itself, keeps it healthy.  The balanced complex keeps you sane, free from panic attacks, helps you to concentrate, makes you less irratible, is made for the nervous system.  Try a good Balanced B50 or B100 twice a day for a week, down to once a day for life.  You will see such a difference, heart will do what it should more often, less anxiety and stress, panic attacks will stop.  But you must be willing to give up caffeine, white flour and processed foods too if you want total recovery.  What do you have to lose?  Don't just take B6 or B12, taek BALANCED B COMPLEX,  at least 50mg. You guys let me know how it goes if you try it for a month or so, you'll be amazed.
I have had pvc's since I was 12, I'm in my mid 40's now and I'm not any more comfortable with them now. I have anxiety problems, I've finally given up caffein and alcohol, but I was still experiencing quite a few pvc's over the past few months, especially when I tried to go to sleep. Laying down often sets them off and I would have nights where it would take more than an hour to fall asleep. Earlier this week after reading some postings about it, I started to take a magnesium and potassium supplement. I read that magnesium helps with heart rhythm and that potassium helps keep the magnesium in the system. It may be a coincidence, but I have had four straight nights with maybe a couple of pvc's. I haven't had that in who knows how long. It might be worth a try for any of you out there who have to constantly endure pvc's. Good luck!
Hi, I've got one to add to this one.  I'm a 53 year old man who use to camp and hike a lot.  One time I tryed to put on a back pack that was too heavy with my left arm.  (Bad move).  It pulled my left pectoral muscle at the time.  Of course I was around 45 and these things are not as bad as when your 53.  I desided to go to Philmont, New Mexico which the base camp is 6000 feet above sea level.  Well to make a long story short I couldn't adjust to the altitude.  They all thought I had a heart attack.  Nope I didn't.  However, I didn't have a 156/110 blood pressure with a rapid pulse rate.  Last November I had severe chest pains and after a stress test they agreed to check for Ulcers.  Yup I had 2, one in my esphogus and one in my stomach.  I desided that this old man start an exercise and weight reduction campaign.  I signed up at the local gym and started to execise every other day.  Then after 3 month I switched to once a day for 30 minutes.  On even days I'd do 30 minute walks with 6o ab crunches and 4 sets of 10 reps each of another machine.  Then on the odd days I'd walk to 15 minutes and the 20 minutes of upper body.  This went fine for 5 months until I desided to start running for about 50 feet every 5 minutes to get my pulse rate above 100.  And it worked.  After I stoped execerising for the day I walked back to my locker and the pulse rate jumped to over 150 in less than 2 minutes.  I went to the chell out room and in 10 minutes my pulse rate was down below 100.  The next morning I was setting eating my breakfast and my pulse rate was around 58-61.  I said, "Not bad."  I went to work and around 9:300 I didn't feel very good so I walked to our local Hospital which is only a block away.  My blood pressure was 168/104 and my pulse rate was 126,  go figure.  I was the cardiologist today and had a echocartiogram.  I've yet to hear back from them but I have a feeling it's part chest muscles and part worry.  Could this also be coming from the fact that I may have pulled these chest muscles and my body is simply trying to repair the damage, i.e. simpathec nervous system?

Can anyone help me? For about 3 weeks now, I've been having chest pains on the left side under my breast(31 yr old female). I went to the Er last week and the kept me for 3 days. Ran 3 EKG, Blood work, echo, stress test and said everything was fine!  That I probably pulled a chest muscle. WHY do I still hurt? The pain isn't as bad, but my left shoulder, neck and elbow hurt. I'm really scared, I have 3 small children and my husband says get over it already. Can I rule out my heart? Is it just a pulled muscle? How long before I start to feel better?
***@****
A related discussion, TO THE GUY WITH MONO was started.
A related discussion, pvcs was started.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.