Heart Disease Forum

Re: AORTIC VALVE REPLACEMENT/PACEMAKER/ARRYTHMIA

Posted By Ivet on March 13, 1999 at 13:36:03:

In Reply to: Re: AORTIC VALVE REPLACEMENT/PACEMAKER/ARRYTHMIA posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on March 11, 1999 at 09:38:02:

: : Three yrs ago my husband (now 56) had an aortic valve replacement and reconstructive surgery.  About a year later he had to have a pacemaker implant and now it seems he has arrythmia for which he's getting a holster monitor on wednesday.  Aside from all that he also has the following:
1.  The area where he has the pacemaker becomes swollen and reddish when ever he does any streneous activity using his arms.
2.  He sometimes looses sight completely out of one eye.  It goes totally black and returns gradually.
3.  He gets severe chest pains on his left side that go all the way to his back and down his left arm.
We have an appoitment with his cardiologist on the 15th to ask him all these questions.  But can you give me an idea of what causes all this?  Is it due to the valve replacement or to the fact that he suffered an accident where he was electrocuted?
Thank you for your time and anticipated assistance.

Dear Ivet
The transient loss of eyesight is very concerning as are the chest pains. He needs a comprehensive cardiovascular evaluation, as he appears to be at risk for both heart attack and stroke. The causes are numerous, but I would not necessarily blame the aortic valve, though this too will need to be evaluated. If your cardiologist is not aware of the above symptoms, call him and let him know. I think an evaluation much sooner than the fifteenth would be far better.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Thank you for responding to my concerns.  Even though you were very vague and didn't really answer my questions, I can understand since you're not really familiar with entire case history.  I have contacted his doctor and hopefully he'll give us an earlier appt.

Dear Ivet
I was vague on purpose. This forum is not for providing diagnoses. It would be both foolish and dangerous to make diagnoses over the internet.

As I mentioned before, I do understand that you can not give a diagnosis becaudse you do not have the medical history and I do trully appreciate your help.  My husband has an appoinment with his cardiologist on monday and I will contact you after that to let you know what he said.
Again I thank you for your help.

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.